Question for BuckintheBowtie

General Discussion Topic Archives
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

Question for BuckintheBowtie

Post by SmokeyBear »

Something to thinkabout BTB. I'm considering the mod motor for my 70 and have almost made up my mind on lopping off the front end and grafting the frame of a car where a 4.6 already resides (a merc grand marquis to be exact because I already have one in the stable). That gives me a good stance with modern steering and suspension, a more popular 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern (I have the rear to match), and of course the proper mounts for the 4.6. I'm sure you've had your mind on your swap for a while so what do you think about this idea, and do you see any drawbacks?
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
pat67shorty

Post by pat67shorty »

I'll chime in. If the frame width matches... it would be like a volare clip on a 50's F-100. Using a 91+ panther platform clip will let you "upgrade" it with cop car parts.. and improve the handleing and braking if you use 98 and later parts.
'67 SWB, 1970 car 390, Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, MSD 6AL, 780 Holley, Hedman headers, 2.5 duals, 3.54 D44 L/S, C6.
ranger240

Post by ranger240 »

if you are looking for better than I-beam suspension, really cost effectiveness would be going with a TCI, or fatman front end. as they are already enginered for the frame, and no cutting would be involved. then you just weld in the motor mounts, and you're good to go. not REALLY that simple but it sure beats having to re-cut your frame and possibly making the wheelbase off, or out of square with the rear end. but if you want the hauling capacity, then a newer front end from a F-series would be a better choice in my eyes due to the fact that they already have aftermarket parts available for them.
"Nahh, go ahead and cook, we'll trow it out. Wouldn't want you to get rusty."
SmokeyBear
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Question for BuckintheBowtie

Post by SmokeyBear »

If we're talking "cost effectiveness" the merc would be the winner since I already have the complete running car and I can pick off it as needed. I am pretty good at fabrication and can run a welder so I don't think I'd have too much trouble there. The only thing that concerns me is the width differences in the frame. The car's frame is much wider than the truck's. The car's front end is approximately 48 inches wide whereas the truck's is only 34. I could run a boxed 2x4 section out to make the distance and reinforce it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
70 F-100 XLT
"Christine" Gone but not forgotten.
72 F-100 Ranger XLT
Big D's 69
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Big D's 69 »

Would be a great plan but a lot of hard work and figuring to make it work.
1969 Ford F-100. 302 4 barrel, C4 auto, 9in 3.50 open rear, headers, power steering, Turq/wht, Under restoration. In other words, in a million pieces!!!

There is no Replacement for Displacment!!!

My Photo Gallery: http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?album=655
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Question for BuckintheBowtie

Post by 71 LONG BED »

:off: That's a mighty big pic ya got there Smokeybear. :D
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

Hey smokeybear the setup your talking about will work fine plus this is not going to be a work truck any more so you don't have to worry about it being a car suspension here is a picture that shows a frame that kinda looks like what you are talking about, go to www.ifcustom.com and look for the "cadimino" project for more pictures. This is what I think if you can cut it and weld it then it can be done.Image