In-cab storage unit

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

In-cab storage unit

Post by FORDification »

Hey all...you guys are not gonna believe what I was able to score this weekend while scrounging around in salvage yards. Yes, this is the often-talked-about-but-never-seen storage unit which fit behind the seat of trucks without the in-cab fuel tank:

Here are a few more pics:

<PIC 2> - <PIC 3> - <PIC 4>

The '70 truck that this was installed in had an in-board (inside the frame) tank identical to the one I'm using on my truck and no filler hole on the cab at all. It simply attaches with screws into the back of the cab where the fuel tank would attach.

This thing is complete and perfect, aside from some very minor surface rust on the door hinges and lock assemblies. It's all plastic, but appears to be very durable. I don't have the keys to it, but shouldn't have any problem getting them re-keyed by the local locksmith. It's a little dusty from sitting for years in this truck, but I hosed it down when I got it home this evening and it really looks good! I'll finish it up with a good hand-scrubbing within the next day or two, and post a webpage with a bunch of good close-up pics.

This MORE than made up for 4 days on the road with 2 whiney kids and the wife. ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: In-cab storage unit

Post by cobraF100 »

Sweet.....you have all the luck...... :roll:
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

Ya Ya quit bragging, grin. Congrats, wish I could find one, but all I have gotten recently at the junkyard is a threat of a $10,000 fine if I looked at certain vehicle. The junkyard is renting out space to the airforce for impounds, and one 1 small sign indicating that it is off limits.
69F110
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 69F110 »

Awesome find. that is too cool. What better reason to take the in cab tank out?
Steve Davis
Pastor and U.S. Army Retired

1969 F100 Ranger LWB, 390 and 3 on the tree
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Well, at least we all now know what one even looks like, right? I know I was curious as heck after hearing about them, never dreaming I'd ever find one. I guess I was planning on just fabbing up something similar for storage, plus maybe a subwoofer.

Now I just have to decide if I actually want to keep it and use it on my '67, or E-bay it and use the funds to finance the project. Wonder what something like this would go for? :hmm:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
67highboy

Post by 67highboy »

OOHH OOHH I WANT IT I WANT IT :woohoo:
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775
dutchtreat

Post by dutchtreat »

Thats a good find keith......I agree...you do have a great deal of luck
Dt.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

As a good friend of mine used to say"the old blind sow found an acorn" As much time as we all know you have spent scrounging, you deserve to find something like this once in a while. Now if you could just score a set of Farm and Ranch Special side boards or an under hood power plant. To bad you didn't have a sawzal with you to take the cab section with no filler hole.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Granted, I DO get the occasional break, but only after spending a LOT of time scrounging through crap. Whenever I'm out on the road, especially out on a road trip, my eyes are CONSTANTLY scanning the sides of the road as far as I can see, trying to catch glimpses of people's back yards to see if there's anything worth checking out. If I don't have the time to stop, I'll at least mark the map so maybe down the road I can go back. And I have to admit, my wife's been very accomodating when we're on these road trips, by not pitching a fit when occasionally we turn around and drive past something I thought I saw.

I DO plan on returning to the yard where I got this piece, since he's got some other stuff I'd like to get, mainly for resale, like good stainless trim, the in-frame fuel tank (and the e-brake cable used with it...read this thread) and a '67 AM radio & bezel.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video