73-79 gas tanks fit on a 67?

General Discussion Topic Archives
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

73-79 gas tanks fit on a 67?

Post by zakt »

Does anyone know if a 73-79 side mount and rear gas tank will fit a 67? It will be 4x4 so Im curious if the side mount would hit the transfer case?

Todd
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: 73-79 gas tanks fit on a 67?

Post by FORDification »

The only '73-up rear tank that will fit into a '67 is the auxiliary fuel tank used on the highboys. The frame spacing on the rear half of the '73-'79 2WD trucks' frame was increased by 4", so the regular tanks won't work. However, the Highboys had the same framerail spacing as our trucks and used the in-cab fuel tank, but you could get an auxiliary tank to fit between the rear frame rails. You'd have to fabricate a fuel filler door on the driver's side for it. Here's a pic of one that come up for auction on E-bay a while back:

I'm not sure about the side tank...you're talking about the factory inboard tank on the driver's side or the saddle tanks? The outboard saddle tanks should fit OK, I would think.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
zakt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by zakt »

yea, the driver side tank under the truck bed... I have heard the bronco tanks will fit in the rear of a 67?
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have a 35 gallon Suburban tank to go between my rear frame rails as soon as I get off my butt and figure out a sender for it. I am thinking of just cutting out the sender hole and welding in one from a Ford. I hope to be putting it in my new 69 crew cab this winter and eliminating the two side tanks and the seat tank. It now has those aftermarket outside the frame rail tanks the they hack a hole in the bed and put that aluminum door in. My 72 has those too and I hate them, they are just so ugly and look like such a hack job. I have seen plastic ones that fill in the wheel well.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.