OK, so it IS a sickness...I just bought another truck.

General Discussion Topic Archives
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

OK, so it IS a sickness...I just bought another truck.

Post by FORDification »

I've been keeping my eyes open for a decent shortbox pickup to swipe the box from, since mine has some rust issues that I really didn't feel like dealing with. On E-bay there was a '72 SWB F100 listed, and after swapping a few e-mails and then a follow-up phone call this afternoon, I went ahead and bought the truck. (He was actually selling it for a neighbor friend.)

Anyway, this deal is actually going to help both of us out. He's runs a salvage business and does a lot of wheeling and dealing with vintage motorcyles, musclecars, and other collectibles (he's really into Hudson Hornets)...but his yard truck is a '68 which has really been needing a cab and front clip. When I e-mailed him asking about the bed, we got to talking and he told me that the truck's owner has been after him to just buy the truck for the parts he'd need, but he didn't want to have to deal with the leftover parts. So we decided to split the asking price of the truck...and the truck itself. He's going to get the cab and front sheetmetal, and I get everything else: the rolling chassis, drivetrain (302/3-spd), box and topper. And to make it even better, he's going to deliver it to me for the price of the fuel.

I won't actually see it for a few weeks, since he's busy running around the country picking up and dropping off some vehicles, but we're shooting to have it here by around Labor Day or shortly thereafter.

Another good thing that might come out of this: he spends a LOT of time on the road, from coast to coast, picking up and dropping off collector cars, so if I can get him to join up here, we might have somebody on the forum as a possible source for transportation of trucks and/or parts. Just in the next few weeks he's making stops in South Dakota (both ends of the state), Idaho and Washington, and then when he gets back he has to make a run to Chicago and then Minnesota. It definitely sounds like he gets around!

So anyway....within 2-3 weeks I'm finally going to have a more useable box for my project truck. Unfortunately it DOES have the rear marker lights, so I'm not sure how/if I'll deal with that. I'm not really that much of a stickler to keeping things 100% original on this one....but I've got a '68 parts truck which could donate the panels to fill that in if need be. The new box does have a couple minor flaws, the biggest is a dent under the left taillight, but that's accessible from underneath, so considering the amount of work I was going to have to do to my present box, this one will be a piece of cake! :woohoo:

Now I don't feel so bad about missing out on that Highboy a couple weeks ago.:D
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: OK, so it IS a sickness...I just bought another truck.

Post by heep70 »

:doh:
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
dangeranger72

Post by dangeranger72 »

i have a 72 swb ranger and looking at 71 rangerxlt 3/4 ton with all power and a 460
Talon S. Brown
bigdoug22

Post by bigdoug22 »

of course its a sickness why else would we have a forum for trucks from 5 differant years :D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
72 f250 camper special and it only cost 200.00 and it has now soared over the $1000 mark
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

Bigdoug22,calls it a sickness,I,myself prefer to call it passing time ,making the day go by ... I refuse to admit it , I am not an addict .Ok who has those 12 steps this time <HEHEHE>

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
dduude

Post by dduude »

Hey there Keith .I know what you are going through. I had 26 trucks at one time and it was a nightmare sometimes ... :( :( :(

Question; Are you going to use the '72 bed on your '67 and if so would you keep the marker light or try and take it out and make it look like a '67 :? :?

Dude 8)
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

Keith nice find-----You should right all these transactions down. Your kids will never believe all the horse trading stories you put together to get something you need. :lol:
As for the box I was kinda in the same boat I was only able to find a earlier style w/o marker lamp. I really don't think most people will know the difference. After all the years and what most of these trucks have been through you do see quite a few with the wrong box. But only our trained eyes can tell
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

yes keith it's a sickness...lol i to have the sickness haven't got my truck parted out and a kid from the high school that i work at that is talking to my daughter and just getting to know her asked me if i wanted a 3 wheeler i said sure is it free yes and he even dropped it off at my house and picked up another one the other day hope to go get it this weekend and talked to another kid that graduated that lives in town and he has 26 of them and going to let me have a bunch of parts to get them running i love freebies, anyway made the wife happy that my yard is starting to fill up but always said one mans junk is another mans treasure, besides you never know when someone might want to trade something you need...
OLEYELLERTRUCK

Post by OLEYELLERTRUCK »

It's not a sickness. I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Okay everyone repeat after me.

Hi my name is .......... and I have gone .......days,hours, minutes, without my ford.

Rest of group. Hi ...........
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: OK, so it IS a sickness...I just bought another truc

Post by FORDification »

dduude wrote:... Question; Are you going to use the '72 bed on your '67 and if so would you keep the marker light or try and take it out and make it look like a '67 :? :?

Dude 8)
If I were doing a restoration, I'd probably fill it in with a patch panel, but since this is going to be a daily driver, I'll probably just hook the light up and run it as-is. There are already going to be so many things on my truck that aren't going to be technically 'correct' for a '67 anyway, like the seat, tilt-column, disc brakes, radiator support, etc. What's one more thing, right? ;) Of course, since all that stuff is under the skin, this will be the first thing on the exterior to confuse people.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Don't scrap your old bed, make a trailer out of it. :thup:
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Nice find, Keith! :clap:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

Keith
This may be a option for you to consider? Many years back Ford replaced the 67-69 box side part # (if purchasing replacment from Ford in the mid 70's for sure)
to the 70-72 style part # (yes, if you had a accident and your box side was damaged the Ford new replacment part you would have received would have been the 70-72 style with lamp hole) This box side would have came with a seperate cover to block the hole. The part number for the cover only was D2TZ.99278C38.A and was called a rear body corner panel lamp opening cover. I'm not sure how they attach but came with the box side if you purchased one (after number change) or was also sold individually. I have ran a search and have found the following

GREEN SALES
CINCINNATI, OH
513-731-3304
800-543-4959
D2TZ99278C38A
shows 3 in stock
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hey cool! I wasn't even aware those existed! Thanks Mark...I really appreciate it. :D :thup: I'll give them a call and see what they have.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!