Emissions regulations in your area?

General Discussion Topic Archives
morganater

Emissions regulations in your area?

Post by morganater »

Up here in Alaska, if it is a '67 or older, you are completely exempt from emissions ( no tailpipe test ) and also no visual inspection. You just get the tags every few years :lol: My truck is a 69, but i have it registered as a '67 8) . What kind of crap do all you fellow 67-72 owners have to go thru in the lower-48 just to get your truck legal?
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Emissions regulations in your area?

Post by FORDification »

In Nebraska there's aren't ANY tests, AFAIK. Probably because if they did that, half the cars around here would be taken off the road! :lol:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

Iowa is the same. There aren't even yearly car inspections. When I was young, I specifically remember cars being inspected ( brakes, exhaust, tires...etc ) before it could be licensed...notta thing now! Don't get caught without insurance though!
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

I wanna know how you have a 69 licensed as a 67!!! Now that is a trick!
morganater

Post by morganater »

:shh: :lol: :evil: Well the previous owner said he just argued over the phone with some lady at the DMV that didnt know anything repeatedly telling her it was a '67, and I guess it worked.. lol
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

In Houston Tejas, any vehicle over 25 years old is exempt from emissions testing, but still must take the annual safety inspection test. This means the latest year model rolls up one, every year...This is a *major* attraction to me as far as driving an old truck. Sure, most newer cars can run right through most smog tests, but when they start getting older, it takes some upkeep and money to keep them low smog. An old car here that is less than 25 yrs, such as my 81 monte carlo that I got rid of, can be a real pain to get through smog tests every year. And to further add pain, if you rely on garages, or other mechanics to work on smog gear, half of them are nearly frigging clueless as far as diagnostics. They will nickle and dime you to death changing this part and that, trying to cure the problem, and even that's no thing as far as passing the test. On mine, I finally had to learn smog equipment myself, in order to get the monte carlo fixed and able to pass with a low score.
None of the pro shops could do it, even after charging a pretty penny.
In my case, the main problem was the hoses for the air pump were on backwards. Can you believe it....None of the "pro's" could find that...They "found" my carb was bad, etc, etc, etc...The guy rebuilt my carb and it still didn't pass, and it never idled right after that, to boot...
Yea, the car had a new sticker he slapped on, but I *know* it didn't really pass. He stuck another car's exhaust on the machine to get me out of his hair. I didn't see him actually do it, but I know he must have, because it bombed the test in the same manner the next year.
Here in Houston, smog testing and repair is a real money making racket...
But I avoid it with my 68 truck. My inspection cost 12.50. About $40 or so bucks less than if the smog test was included. BTW, they use treadmill testers now, which are tighter to pass than the original static testers they started out with. Many people run real lean and bomb the NOX tests on the newer cars..It's as bad as CA. here in Houston...They are even trying to restrict lawn mowers to certain times of day...:/ But the refineries belch on of course....MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Well the previous owner said he just argued over the phone with some lady at the DMV that didnt know anything repeatedly telling her it was a '67, and I guess it worked.. >>>>>>>>

A suggestion....Never try to get this "corrected"...The red tape you will likely run into will make you regret you ever considered it. No joke... :wink: MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

In Arizona it's 67 and newer that require an emission test every year. So each year I go through the routine of de-tuning, adding alcohol to the gas and so on. Passing the emissions test is a small but notable victory.

Here in Tucson they are testing a relatively new technology that samples emissions of passing vehicles. They set up on a freeway on ramp and sample emissions from the cars as they pass the rig. They also take a photo of the licence plate. The idea is to identify violators and ticket them by mail. This will really throw a monkey wrench into my emissions system so I"m hoping the technology is a bust.
jor
occupant

Post by occupant »

Dallas and the counties surrounding it have the emissions testing. I'm considering getting a P.O. Box in an outlying area so I can change my driver's license address to something outside the e-check. I like 70s and 80s model cars and they always fail. Even early 90s cars are having trouble getting through it. At least the 25-year thing exempts everything 1979 and older at this point. That covers all the 72-79 Ford intermediates I love, as well as the first three years of the downsized GM B/C-bodies. I'm happy.

I like the $12.50 inspection, but I still need to fix the brake lights, turn signals, horn, parking brake, and change out my windshield before I'll pass with my '70. I can't even get the title now because the previous owner took off with it and didn't leave me any forwarding info. I'll have to go out to Brownwood and locate the previous owner to get him to apply for a duplicate. I see spending big bucks in the near future on that trip, since my Aerostar is at the tranny shop held hostage by a $1460 rebuild that I can't afford since without the van, I can't work and make money at the courier.

That's your occupant update for the last six months LOL!!!
Alan Moore | TOAD Towing | Columbus, OH
00 Suburban "Moose III"
Strong Bad I | Strong Bad II | Strong Bad III
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

This summer I had taken one of the local intown interstate exit ramps on my way home from work and was met around the corner by a suprise vehicle inspection stop. Probably a safety check for seatbelts and or a vehicle registration check etc...but the officer that was waiting for the next victim seen me coming in the 70 f250 and just waived me through. I think he had a look like this :roll: He wasn't in the mood to argue or investigate
the laws for older vehicles. I was the only one that was let through :D in my group
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I was an emissions inspector in Anchorage during the mid 80s to early 90s. They were still refining the program but the criteria for the older vrhicles on the tailpipe only sest was ridiculous and a total waste of time. They allowed 6% Co which is just short of raw gas running out the tailpipe. The worsr cars were the late seventys to mid 80s. Those cars had the most complicated and troublesome systems plus it was an era that quality control was severly lacking in Amercan autos. Basically it was the same old systems kept alive on an iron lung by hanging more goofy and complicated vacuum controls on every part of the engine management and emissions. When these cars get old they are a nightmare for any inspection station but they should have all the Vac. diagrams in the shop. Of course the books aren't always correct, or don't cover every variation. Some cars could have a half dozen different variations, federal or California, standard or automatic and high altitude variations on each of those. The manufacturer should be required to test and repair any make they sell requrdless of year. And fix it for the cost of the initial estimate. Instead independent test and repair facilitys are stuck trying to find parts that are no longer available.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Rockcrusher

Post by Rockcrusher »

Nevada tests emissions on '68 and newer if the vehicle is registered in the urban areas of Clark or Washoe County. There are no emission tests in the rest of the state.

There is no safety inspection but if you import a vehicle from another state, you must physically take it to a DMV office so they can verify the VIN . . . Running or not.
Rockcrusher
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Ignorance is sticking your hand in the fire 'cause you don't know what it is ... Stupidity is doing it a second time.
muchtomydelight

Post by muchtomydelight »

I dont think there are ANY tests in Georgia. and thats a good thing.