what to look for in the junkyard?

General Discussion Topic Archives
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: what to look for in the junkyard?

Post by willowbilly3 »

Definately snag the 67 grille. Dashpads in decent shape are a rare find. The factory chrome rear bumper ( it kind of looks like a front bumper) is also good properety, or more precisely the brackets. Those will almost always fetch $125 or better on ebay. Power steering brackets and pulleys, and the column and fire wall brace for power steering cocnversions. You can snag the steering boxes too but those fit all the way to 79 and are easyier to find.
I always grab those V8 throttle linkage trapeze things that bolt to the intake. They are hard to find when you need one. Good hoods are hard to find here but rather bulky to rathole if you don't really need one.
And while the trucks are plentiful right now, in ten years it will be a different story as hundreds of them are getting crushed every day.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
tcb1969

Post by tcb1969 »

I kinda thought if anyone on here would respond to this it would be you willowbilly!!

I can't believe that I didn't think about the throttle trapeze things!!

The whole reason I went in the first place was for power steering parts as I am trying to finish a bendix box conversion.

I figured I grab the best hood I could find for myself - in case I ever want to do some funky hood scoop or cowl induction deal.

About the bumpers - it's kinda weird - almost every truck still has the rear bumper! Maybe 1/4 of them look to be factory. I was thinking about the brackets - I remember some selling for alot on ebay - plus it looks like two have the factory hitch!

One truck even has a tailgate trim piece the covers the entire depressed area on a 69 tailgate - making the tailgate look flush from the rear. I've never seen one before - not even on ebay!

As I was going around these trucks I just kept thinking - if no one else grabbed this stuff - maybe it is worthless - I just haven't dealt with these trucks long enough to really know!

I'll take my digital camera when I go back next week - I'll email some pics to you willowbilly.

John
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I think there was 2 different sizes of tailgate filler panels. I sold one on ebay last spring for about $40 but it was the smaller one. The used trim really doesn't bring alot but still get all of it you can store. The ones around the tailights if they are real straight, any straight headlight doors. Keep an eye out for rare stuff like the behind the seat storage unit, stock am/fm radio. There is always someone looking for radio delet covers but they are a major pain to get out. No room to get your arm in there and those pal nuts that have to come off hard all the way. Any of the V8 manual choke carbs from 69 and earlier that aren't a froze up pos.
The chrome drip rail mouldings and the trim piece that some had around the cab right above the bed are good to have if you can get them off. The small rectangular car type mirrors are not real common either and are good to find.
Tailight lenses are a dime a dozen and I don't even bother with them unless they are real nice but front park lenses suffered a lot more abuse and I take any of those that are whole. Also look for those off the 68-74 econolines as they fit 59-64 pickups. Also those econoline tail light lenses are the same but the chrome trim, if they have it, is different.
Check all the 78-85 pickups for the intermittant wipers. It is easy, just turn the knob and you will notice that it goes past off when you turn it to the left. These are almost a direct bolt up for our trucks and they are bringing $50 or so on ebay right now. All you need to take is the switch and the box that is connected to it with wires.
Also if you want to mess with them, nice original seatbelts in decent condition are something a lot of guys need, and any good armrests.
Now get busy. :$$: :lol:
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

I need all that stuff! EVERYTHING! Anything you want to part with, let me know..also my 69 has an aux fuel tank ( factory? ) in the drivers side of the box forward of the rear wheel...it at one time had a door over the hole in the fender but someone removed it..I need that hinged door!
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Willowbilly covered most of it. Couple other things that aren't made aftermarket. The leading edge chrome trim on the hood above the grill (Maybe only 70-72 option). Also, for '71 the grill inserts if in good shape. Any other oddball options on well equipped trucks, like onan gen. etc.
1968Ranger

Post by 1968Ranger »

It might be a long shot, But are you in the South? Are you willing to share the location of your secret honey hole. Maybe you can get a couple of weeks headstart, Then let the folks on the Forum know. Hate to see good parts get crushed.
Mike
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

If any of the radiator supports are in good shape with little to no rust in the bottom corners, (yea, I know what the chances of THAT are :D ) grab as many as you can. Nobody makes them any more and good ones are very scarce. You could probably sell them all and turn a tidy profit.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I am not sure what windshields cost but that is probably one of the least expensive. If you are getting a junkyard one be ready to put it in yourself as most glass shops don't do carry in used glass. But it might be a good idea to have a spare good windshield fubber when you change it out.
71Ford100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 71Ford100 »

How much would it cost for a complete cargo light assembly ligh to switch. Come on, tell us where the goldmine is!!!!!! :D :D
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

straight tailgates are alittle tough to find, as are decent steering wheels and the chrome horn ring. I grab the side and rear bed markers when I find good ones (not often). besides the stuff already mentioned.
'71 F-100
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Yeah, the windshields are the same part no. up through at least '79 (I think they changed in '80, but not 100% sure), so they are a dime a dozen.
1968Ranger

Post by 1968Ranger »

John
Let us know when your ready. I am sure someone here is near you. I did a little snooping(looked on the old board) for references to where you might be. Nothing came up. 8) 8) 8)
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

If you are planning on selling them on E-Bay then....

The sport steering wheels if it is in good shape,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33704

If they aren't they go for pratically nothing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33704

Any tilt steering if you can get it below $75 (cheepest I have seen any go for) (A maual Tilt steering columns just went for over $300 on ebay though)

The F-600 dashes of course, Almost any year up to 72, just remember to metion them of FE and here and put round gauges in you title If you sell them on E-Bay.

On the trim, the wheel well trim seems to go for a decent chunk of change, +$50 last batch I saw, and I can get all four here for around $10,

The grill insert if they are in good shape for our vehicles, not that you will make money on them but for good will.

Factory (mustang style) bucket seat assemblies and tracks of course.

Bronco mirrors if they are in good shape and you can get them for less that $15, haven't seen them go for less than that.

The tailgate insert for the mid 70s seem to be a little quirky, I have seen them go from 5 - $50 with no difference in quality.

Guessing here as I have never seen one for sale but would buy one myself but the original painted gas caps.
Kep

1972 F250 Da Big Ugly Man TruckDa BUMT
1961 F100 Stepside (Father/Daughter Project)UnNamed
1968Ranger

Post by 1968Ranger »

Its been a few weeks Now let us in on the location.
Mike
Please be in South Carolina
muchtomydelight

Post by muchtomydelight »

anyone have a pic of those chrome bumper brackets? I think there is one in a yard up the road, and i can probably get the whole deal for $25