classic trucks ('72 F-100 tech article )

General Discussion Topic Archives
fords_forlife

classic trucks ('72 F-100 tech article )

Post by fords_forlife »

hi I don't know how many of you guys still read this mag. there is a front disk brake upgrade on page 40 on the new issue ( feb 2006 ). It's a '72 F-100 but kind of a shame it's not in color cause it looks like a pretty clean truck.
FORDS_FORLIFE
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

Yeah I just saw the mag yesterday and the truck looked super clean.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: classic trucks ('72 F-100 tech article )

Post by FORDification »

All right folks....sit back for a scathing editorial on this Classic Trucks article.

I'd just sat down to read the forums yesterday when I read this post. Since my wife was out of town doing Christmas shopping, I thought I might luck out and she'd be somewhere where she could pick me up a copy. I called her, and it turned out she just happened to be a Wallyworld, so I told her to find me a copy. Finally got around to thumbing through it this afternoon, and I gotta say, I was very disappointed in the article. It was simply another "How to bolt on a complete aftermarket kit" article. :zz:

(Now I'm speaking to the yahoos at Classic Truck magazine):

Well DUH! ANYBODY can just bolt on a pre-assembled kit, you morons!

WTH ever happened to the kinds of articles that actually help out the average Joe who's got a nice driver he wants to fix up, and doesn't have $1000-$1100 laying around? I mean, for crying out loud, I know you have to keep your advertiser's happy, but there was absolutely no mention made that a truck owner can easily get all the parts (except for the spindles) he'd need from the local U-Pull-It and parts store for a LOT less money.

And the article itself actually left out more information than they included. For example, most of us know that actually removing the kingpins requires some labor, and more than likely a trip to the local machine shop to have them pressed out. However, the only mention made in the article of removing the kingpins is the following line: "Before getting the bigger hammer to continue driving the kingpins out, make sure you remove the taper stop that locates the kingpins." :huh: That's IT??

So how should it have been written? Well, by starting off talking about what trucks came with power brakes and what didn't. Since there are differences in front-end hardware starting in late-'71, a person has know to what he has before heading to the boneyard (or ordering a kit), so explaining the differences would have been good. Then actually walking the truck owner through the disassembly process, including mentioning that more than likely the kingpins would have to be pressed out. The article should also have included a mention of the fact that you can get either bronze or nylon bushings, and the bronze bushings need to be pressed in and reamed to fit the kingpins. However, the kit they installed came with nylon bushings (not the ticket for a regularly-driven street truck anyway), so I guess they didn't feel the need give the reader any real information.

...and to me one of the more pathetic aspects of this magazine article is the fact that the truck they installed this kit on already had power brakes! However, the kit they bought came with a new power booster, so they removed the old power booster and just bolted on the replacement. Oooooo.....gripping journalism! :roll:

I'm sorry, but the only thing lamer than this article would have been a step-by-step tutorial on how to apply decals or how to fill up the windshield washer fluid tank.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
fordfanatic

Post by fordfanatic »

Amen Brother! You hit the nail on the head. :yt:

By the way Keith, did you get the pm I sent you? If so just checking. If not I'll send again.
Chris
If it's broke, Fix it! If it can't be fixed, explain to your wife that you need it anyway!:D :fr:
----------------------------------
1971 F100 Ranger parts truck
1969 F100 Ranger parts truck
19?? Combo project (from above)
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

:hmm:
Decals, how's that done :lol:

:clap: Great job on that tutorial on a waste of space. They could have done a lot better.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

But an informative article on installing junkyard parts isn't what the advertiser paid for!
Can't sell their parts if they aren't hyped up in magazines.
IMO magasines are nothing but advertising space- including the 'articles.'
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

pick a part truck mag now on sale race fans :lol:
tazzman68

Post by tazzman68 »

Glad I read on, I was gonna run right out and pick up a copy of the mag....that is until I read Keith's editorial on it. What a shame.
And, way to go Keith!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Most of those guys in the mags don't know anything about actually
working on a nasty dirty real world truck. They write stories praising
their sponsers and take home free stuff. Thats why a lot of what they
say makes little sense. Do you think you would ever catch one of them
in a boneyard with a tapemeasure in his hand? hehehe
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

it's funny you talk about them getting there hands dirty heck they all wear these jump suits and not like me heck i wear my regular street clothes to pull a part or whatever. Me myself would like to see articles where they use part vehicles isn't that why they call it a parts vehicle? to finish there project instead of like keith said plugging a company and what they have to sell..Terry
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

I treid to work on cars with a pair of coveralls.

Dang things would bind and then I couldn't move my arms as far as I needed or do anything like that.

I wear old jeans and an old shirt and do just fine.

Most times I change race on part of my body working on stuff.

When I get home you could say I look like that Michael Jackson song: Black or white :lol: :lol: :lol:
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

I was reading the article last night and when I got to the point where they just took out the old king pin and put in the new one, I laughed and laughed. My wife even came over to see what was going on. I reminded her of the time a couple of years ago when I worked on getting the kingpins out for two days before I finally took them to a machine shop to be pressed out.
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mk »

You guys have to remember newer Fords are unknown territory for these guys steeped in Chevys and 53-6 F100's. The article was pretty shallow but they're making a start. Let's give them some encouragement... and
maybe pass on some ideas they could turn into articles.

mike
Johnny Canuck

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Yep.
They are used to putting complete Chevy kits on Chevys. The closest they usually get to a Ford is a Chevy 350-350 powered fat fender.

So, baby steps for them. This Ford thing is completely foreign.
'27 Model T Roadster Pickup- Dad's first car
'64 LWB M100 Mercury
'83 F150 Supercab Longbox -"Stretch"

Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Doesn't matter, Ford or Chevy their tech is always oversimplified and often overlooks several key points. I actually started to reply to this thread the other day when I saw it, but I have ripped Primedia mags on several forums including one where Rob Fortier and other Primedia hacks frequent. I get tired of posting the same thing over and over. So I deleted my response. This was one of many reasons I stopped subscribing after only one issue. In fact, some of you may remember my post where they printed my rant in the mag after receiving my first subscribed issue I told them I was not renewing. I thumbed through this one on the rack because someone recommended an article. I was once again reminded why I let it go and was actually pissed I spent time looking for it. A magazine should not piss you off and CT did every time I got it in the mail.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!