Question about taxes on our trucks?

General Discussion Topic Archives
wolfpack

Question about taxes on our trucks?

Post by wolfpack »

Yesterday i was out feeding the dog and i looked at the tag on old "toad" and it said 97 i'm sitting wondering to myself god i hope he didn't last tag it in 97 because it will cost me an arm and leg to retag it or can i get an antique tag for it since it's 35 years old and stuff what do you guys think or know?....thanks Terry :hmm:
The dumbest question in the world is the one you don't ask.
4x4_Welder

Post by 4x4_Welder »

Wouldn't they just charge you the current tax on it? You probably could get antique, classic, or historic tags for it, but they usually are for limited use vehicles.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

property taxes only go back three years here where i live. if you haven't titled the truck yet then there won't be any back taxes. only sales tax and the current years property tax. antiquie tags are for limited use i think less than 10,00 miles a year maybe less. if you have titled it then your taxes and penalties will be added when you buy tags. a way around that is to title the truck to someone else and then have them title it back to you as soon as topeka gets the title back to your friend.
wolfpack

re: Question about taxes on our trucks?

Post by wolfpack »

no the guy still has it in his name he just signed it over i think this year i haven't put my name on it at all....Terry
a26tford

Post by a26tford »

Something to watch out for. When I went in to license my F-250 the nice lady tried to charge me for the 6,900 GWW on the truck. The plates were going to cost over $100.00 a year. I argued that this wasn't right and she told me I would need a weight ticket if I wanted a lower weight charge. I had the truck weighed ( 4,300#) and it saved me about $50.00 a year on the plates.
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

In Florida, there are no back taxes on vehicles. They can sit for years and all you do is pay for the current tag. Only sales tax and the normal fees involved with titling and tagging a vehicle. No mileage limit on the antique tags that I know of.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
wt4speed#2
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wt4speed#2 »

In Texas you can opt for regular tags , classic tags, or antique tags.
regular tags and classic require state inspections and are renewable every year > The classic is just a prestige thing. Both the Classic and antique the vehicle has to be 25 years old. If you opt for antique you can run the antique plate or vintage tags . It renews every 5 years and no inspection is required (although it must past safety road side on demand if requested )the draw back here is you can (not supposed to be used as a daily driver)only use for parades or car show purposes or back and forth to repair or service facilities.
The cost of registration varies acordding to weight , the classic tag is an extra 15 or 20 per year and can be personalizes but is also yearly,the antique is 55-65 every 5 years depending on your home county

Being as I have a company vehicle I'm registering "2ndTime'round" antique and running vintage 1969 Texas truck tags. Any of you interested I have a lead for vintage tags from a guy in Abilene. He has all years and even some out of state. I've seen these booths at some of the bigger show and they get any where from $65-150 per set depending on the year and how many sets they have or how hard they are to find . I got mine for $30.00 as he had a but load of '69 Texas truck . I got info from a friend of mine for a guy in houston and a guy in San Antonio that make some of the larger car shows in the state and this guy told me they buy from him

Tony B
Tony B.Image
DFW Area
"Someday...
I hope you to get the chance,
to live like you are dying"
Member#'s 236 & 403
Úlf the Comedy Sidekick
'69 F-100 "Stepper"(currently in a bigillion pieces )
wt's ride
thebucket
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

132.00 in Cali.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

A.F.A.I.K. Oklahoma/missouri charge previous owner for back tags/taxes on the vehicle.

and antique/classic in ok cost 60-up a year and parades and to and from repair-service places.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
67F250CS
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 67F250CS »

Go with Louisianna. You get 4 year tags at $10 a year. $40 bucks for 4 years thats right!!!

And they could use the cash right about now.
1967 F250 Camper Special
10MPG with key off, in neutral and going downhill!
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

wow it seems like in every state it's different...hmmm i wonder why that is? I mean it's kinda of strange in a way? but thank you eveyone for the input on this topic....Terry