parts trucks,daily drivers and our "feelings"

General Discussion Topic Archives
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

parts trucks,daily drivers and our "feelings"

Post by rjewkes »

Sorry if it sounds sappy, but i always feel sorry for the noble parts trucks, and the ones that get wrecked especialy after they just got fixed.

And kinda have mixed feelings about daily drivers. Mostly i feel glad they are still on the road but am sad they aren't yet fixed.

And of course i'm inspired by the fixed ones of course.

Any body else feel this way?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

I hate to see a good old truck get busted up (witness my '68, which I'm sure has gone to parts heaven now), but I guess the flip side is that something else gets to stay on the road.
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yeah but i think it is still painful for me to take parts off of a busted up one. The truly sad thing is mine and all its rust getting parts off something that only needs an engine or a rearend or a trans.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: parts trucks,daily drivers and our "feelings"

Post by willowbilly3 »

I hate to see nice straight savable trucks sacrificed to keep what is often a junkier truck, operational. But we can't save them all and at the rate they are being junked out and crushed in another 10 years our survivors will be worth more because of it.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Feel the same way.

That is why I am hanging on to my fairlane. It probably should go to the scrapyard in the sky but I am going to make one last attempt to get her back on the road and win the battle of rust.
68half/step4x4

Post by 68half/step4x4 »

I agree with you guys but, I gotta admit I'm alittle guilty of doing that myself. The rear end went out of my 72, so it got parked online. I needed a steering box, so that is where it started. Snow balled from there. Now I need alot of parts to get it back again. I've had that truck for 27 years. Hearing you talk about it has made me decide to stop doing that. [before it's too late]
If it's too loud, you're too old!!!
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

That's okay Robert, we all have those stories. My original 67 sitting in my yard should have gone a long time ago as it is rusted beyond economical repair. Unfortunately, I will try to strip it of any usable parts while I am home and then :cry: off it goes. But it will go in pieces. My wrecked 67 is still waiting for a new cab. It still runs and drives, just has a custom roof job and no windshield. :lol:
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

I don't feel this way at all about the '67-'72s because I still find them all over on the street and in yards. My '61, I feel more that way about, but not so much sad, just frustrated in finding parts. I'm learning about were to look now, so less frustration as time goes on.
But if you were talking about a '41 Ford truck, that is a different story. I guess for me it all comes down to how rare it is and hard to find parts for. Not really any sentimental feelings, just frustration at finding parts.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by binder56jd »

An old compadre of mine(now deceased) told me never to fall in love with anything I owned- there's enough heartbreak in the world without grieving over lost machinery JD PS this man had been a millionaire twice and did not die broke
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dcbullet »

I think my truck is very lucky to have been saved from its prior owner's neglect and is now being lovingly cared for and restored by me. I expect her to repay that in kind by not causing me a lot of grief.
mk
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mk »

I don't know how it happens but I sure know that feeling. Whether it's seeing that line of bombers ready for scrapping in the movie 'Best Years of Our Lives', seeing video of old steam locomotives being cut up or hearing dad talk about all the 32 Fords they scrapped after just taking a fender or other parts back in the fifties, something grabs me :) Shouildn't be so sentimental I guess, but it happens some times...

mike
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

Well, I have to drive somthing and my 69 still cruises down the road just fine. I like driving it --probably more than my Bronco.. Unfortunately I BROKE my truck--I stuck a valve open with 125 thou on the head!! Can you believe that? I guess those bronze valve guides really don't wear much!!

Now sometime within the next 3 years it's going down for a full resto. It's not really that bad right now but I feel that a vehicle deserves it once every 40 years or 400,000 miles!! I'm getting there quick!!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

I felt that way when I parted the 69. The 71 was in good shape before we started the restoration, so we dont have to replace as many body parts, which is good because I have trouble throwing something away that has been with the truck for 34 years. I couldnt ever part that truck. Its been so good and dependable, it deserves to be restored.
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I'm probably the worst person to talk to about this, since I've completely stripped down nearly a dozen trucks over the past couple years, either for parts for my project or to sell to raise money for it. Granted, in another 10 years that will be fewer of these on the road, but I agree that at least for now there are plenty of them to be found....so I usually don't feel too guilty about it. Most of the ones I've stripped were destined to be crushed anyway, and so the way I look at it, I was able to save a few things that would've been lost forever. :D
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
adam138

Post by adam138 »

I know what you mean.Today I went to a yard that has alot of parts trucks that arent really that bad.Yet today they were all gone.I asked the owner and he said they were crushed.I was pissed cause there was one truck that had a really nice rear bumper(I think they were used for camper special) and a great under bed gas tank but now its smashed.Yet out front they have 2 running trucks for sale a 71 LWB with a straight that was kinda crappy but runs for 800 bucks.And a really good 67 F 250 390 auto,ac,power discs,and no rust anywhere for 1000 bucks.I think I might buy that one but I already have three and one for parts.I guess I wanna save em all.