parts trucks,daily drivers and our "feelings"

General Discussion Topic Archives
Missingbolts

re: parts trucks,daily drivers and our "feelings"

Post by Missingbolts »

I would have to agree with most of you. If the truck is in good condition, it's hard to see it salvaged. Back where a grew up, I had to see a nice crew cab go because the city didn't want it in an alley with no registration. The only thing wrong was carburator trouble.
There's no reason to give up on these trucks. Even the rustiest of truck could have some usefull parts.
As for daily drivers. I really like to see them around. I'm not really sad that they can't be fixed. I'm happy to see them still kickin.
One man's junk is another man's BA Truck
Chuck
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

yeah, I know. But the ones in the yards that are let go for stupid reasons. They have a straight body and get crushed.

Perhaps we need to pool our resource4s and buy 'em all out of the junk yards and off of private citizens who don't want them and keep 'em somewhere safe for parts or for restorations.

Unfortunately thats a little expensive and one guy unable to pay at any point could bankrupt the rest.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

LOL, this sounds like an Earl Pitts thread, "you know what really frosts me"...

Anyway, I don't see a reason to feel sad about a daily driver, it is fixed. It goes and stops and does what it was made to do.
It is a shame to see good trucks in the wrecking yard. Nothing you can do about a wrecked truck, so I happily grab parts. But a good straight truck that would take very little to put it back on the road shouldn't go to the junk yard. I get parts off of them anyway, the next and last stop is the crusher. I see a lot of these here in our local pick and pull yards and they're rust free in this part of the country to boot.
I'm not in a hurry to see these trucks become rare and worth money, that's not why I like them. I'm enjoying the available and inexpensive parts for these rigs. And finding one for a few hundred dollars is still fairly easy. Pity the guys that fix Model As.
I know a lot of people aren't wrench turners like most of us here, so when something like a tranny or engine goes bad and their local ASE certified Con Man tells them it will cost $3,000 to replace the motor because the coil went bad they just junk the car/truck. It would be nice though if they would give others a shot and just run an add offering the vehicle up for a hundred or so before sending it to the boneyard.

My :2cents:
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Good idea Robert. I think Keith is working that, isn't he? :lol: I remember a post where he mentioned something like that. :D
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8