Swap Frames from 71 to 73

General Discussion Topic Archives
Randle

Swap Frames from 71 to 73

Post by Randle »

I have a 71 F100 I was getting ready to do a frame off rebuild on. I have just been given a 73 F100 a guy was fixing up. The front end has just been rebuilt with new kingpins and bushings, all new brakes all the way around including new rotors, new shocks and tires, and replaced bad tie rod ends. He blew the motor, and while he was waiting to start a rebuild on it a storm came up and a big tree limb fell across the cab. My question is, as anyone put a 67-72 body on a 73-79 frame, if so is there anything I need to know or watch for before I try this.

Thanks
Randle
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Swap Frames from 71 to 73

Post by willowbilly3 »

It would be better to use all his new front end under yours. The 73 frame has a 2 inch longer wheelbase so the rear tires don't center in the wheel well openings or else you slide the bed back to center the wheel and it leaves a huge gap between the bed and cab. Also the frame is wider in back and none of the bed holes will line up. The front end is a bolt up swap. Use the I-beams and all. Also use the master cylinder and brake equalizer block. You may have to reflair the bigger nut onto your brake line for one of the lines, or change it out. Keith has tech articles on doing the swap right here on this site.

By the way, welcome aboard.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Randle

Post by Randle »

I went out and measured and your right on the wheelbase. But the way it looks I can move the spring mounts forward 2" on the frame, and use the 71 drive shaft. Two benefits I see is the 73 has a higher geared rear end (better road gear) and would allow me to use the under bed fuel tank and remove the in cab tank.
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

All options discussed can be done, just a matter of which one you want to take on. Body swaps can be a real PITA because you end up dismantling damn near the entire vehicle. Whereas an axle swap limits you to that portion of the vehicle.