OK this is for the engineers out there!

General Discussion Topic Archives
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I have built them using an old truck hub as a pivot. You can bury the axle tube in the cement, even leave the center housing. Then use some old I-beam and put the chain fall on a trolley. That way you have ease of movement in any direction. Even if you don't have the resources for the trolley ect. you still might want to use I-beam so you can do that later.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
poleman

re: OK this is for the engineers out there!

Post by poleman »

To size the pins we need to know how far down the pole you are going to attach the knee brace. The allowable load for a 1" A307 bolt in single shear is 7900 lbs. You need to make sure the plates you are using to hold the pin will stand up to the same load.

The channel you are talking about seems a little light for such a long cantilever, even with the knee brace. Channels don't perform well for this kind of application. You would be better off with a wide flange (I-Beam) for your beam member, or if you already have the channel, you could weld two pieces back to back. You will get more load carrying capacity this way, and you can use a trolley on the bottom flange.

For the column, Swissranger's pipe sizes and safety factors are right on the money the 2000lb load.

As far as the foundation goes, I think you are better off going with the original idea of direct burial. If you use an anchor bolt foundation you still need lots of concrete and rebar, but you will also need to fabricate the base plate and gussets and place the anchor bolts. Typically the top 2' of soil is neglected for this kind of design because of wet/dry and freeze/thaw effects. The depth will depend on the type of soil you have. If I had to guess I would start at 5ft.

Personally, I would go with a rolling gantry crane (A-Frame). You can do lots of different things with them and you're not tied down to one place.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

Lots of great info on this! I really appreciate it guys!

I think I will be using an I-beam for the beam, the more I thought about it, it just makes more sense .
I wish I could fit a gantry crane where this is going to be, but the house and driveway are too close to the edge of the property, and the breezeway is in the way to move the crane out of the way. So I am tied down to one place anyways. :-(
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

re: OK this is for the engineers out there!

Post by Jake11 »

Damn, that's 2 more ft. of concrete you gotta mix. he he :D