General Discussion Topic Archives
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Zippo lighters

Post by 1970F250 »

ok i figured it out lol
1970F250 wrote:
BigRedTruck wrote: when I pull this thing out the cap will not shut.

if the cap wont shut, make sure that the circled piece is not like the one in the picture it needs to be down like the one in keiths picture or it wont close all the way.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Zippo lighters

Post by FORDification »

If the lighter's been sitting around for a while, it's very possible the hinge pin there has gotton a little corroded. Why not just try a couple drops of PB Blaster on there and let it set for a while to loosen it up, then just work it back and forth until it frees up. (But be sure to completely wipe it off before attempting to ignite the lighter, since that PB Blaster is also flammable.)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

the thing that I was talking about is that metal arm to the left of the flame shield. I if pull that up it will not close. I never figured out what it was for. unless it just keeps it closed.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yeah, that's what I figured you were talking about. You're right, that's what keeps the lid closed. It should click up and click down. If it just flops around then it definitely needs repaired by Zippo. However, when you insert the lighter workings into the case, that little arm should be flipped down. Then when you close the lid, the lid itself will lift that arm to the up position, which holds the lid shut.

When the lid is open, the arm should be down, like this:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

there should be a flat piece of metal under the arm. its the spring that makes the arm stay up when you close the lid.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Good point....this little piece of spring steel is what keeps the arm either up or down, and doesn't allow movement otherwise.

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Keith, ya like that camera? :D

Sure takes good macros.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."