Zippo lighters

General Discussion Topic Archives
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Zippo lighters

Post by BigRedTruck »

ok i have a limited knowledge of these things but I found out mine is a 51-56 and decidedly does not work. anyone else have one. I got mine from my grandfather. i'm trying to repair it to give it back.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Zippo lighters

Post by 68F250 »

I know zilch about zippo's but don't they have a lifetime guarantee? I think it's still honored, maybe try searching the web? :hmm:
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

you can send them any zippo and they will repair it free. but i think the charge s&h. whats wrong with it? they aren't that complicated you might be able to fix it your self.
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Zippo lighters

Post by 1970F250 »

found it :D
zippo wrote:The World Famous Zippo Guarantee

Zippo Windproof Lighter
Any Zippo lighter, when returned to our factory, will be put in first-class mechanical condition free of charge, for we have yet to charge a cent for the repair of a Zippo lighter, regardless of age or condition. The finish, however, is not guaranteed.

This guarantee gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary state to state. Other Zippo products carry their own specific warranties

Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

well i feel like i did 500 post ago: I know that thing has something wrong with it. I have no idea what it is or what it does. when I pull this thing out the cap will not shut. i guess its time to search for user groups. :lol: I don't even know what a light flint looks like. there is some cotton looking material that looks similar to the stuff I used in boyscouts to start a fire with a surival kit. I guess thats it:....uh oh....BOOM!
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Send it to them, should find the addy and info on the net. I just hope they don't go down the drain before you get it back like Schrade did with my Bear Paw knife.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

Zippos are easy to work on.

You can pull the whole assembly out the top so that you can add liquid lighter fliud in the chamber below.

The wick is just that, a wick to bring the fluid up to the top of the lighter.

The flint used is easily replaced also, it is spring loaded, real small spring.

The lighter fluid and flints can be purchased at any smoke shop, or even Wal-mart if need be.

Hope that helps.

If you want I can see if I have any zippo lighters here and would take pics of how to do this.
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

thanks I found out where the was.....how long its been missing is a mystry. I am sure it is drained also....but in the bottom of the lighter unit there is this cotton stuff what is that? I'm sending it back today just need to make sure everything is out.
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6

FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

OK, here you go. :D

You'll need to pick up some lighter fluid and flints from your local grocery store:

When you remove the workings from the case, this is what you'll see. See the little screw on the bottom? That's where the flint goes:

Just unscrew that, and you'll see this. The spring is what holds the flint up against the striker wheel on top, which makes the spark:

Just drop a new flint down inside the hole where you removed the spring & screw, and reassemble. Then just soak the cotton with the lighter fluid and reassemble:

Then just fire it up and start smokin':

Hope this helps. (You can tell I'm having fun with my new camera!) ;)
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

thanks thats what i needed right there. I got it to spark but not a steady flame. mine has a second hole in the center of the cotton for some reason. I emptied it out and am going to send it off tomorrow. the lighter unit was messed up bad. think they should look at it. funny story about ronsens.....that brand of lighter was out in wy2 and our shermans were nick-named after them, because like ronsens, they lit up every time. ok not funny but factual
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6

wildcard
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by wildcard »

If I remember right, the center hole is for spare flints.
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

:yt:
Steve
prime mover

Post by prime mover »

I collect them (over 30) and I've sent a couple in for repair,it strictly covers mechanical only if you need any help email me.
72 F-350 crew cab, 59 mercury parklane, 64-1/2 mustang
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Also,one sure way to lose them is to try to take them on an airplane with you...The last time I flew,they allowed matches,flick-your bics,...and probably blowtorches....but no Zippos!!!!
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Zippo lighters

Post by 1970F250 »

BigRedTruck wrote: when I pull this thing out the cap will not shut.

if the cap wont shut, make sure that the circled piece is not like the one in the picture it needs to be down like the one in keiths picture or it wont close all the way.
Steve