Campers on a Flareside truck?

General Discussion Topic Archives
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Campers on a Flareside truck?

Post by jzjames »

Seems to me, back in the old days, I had seen commercially made campers made for stepside and flareside beds. Lately Ive been thinking I would love to come across one of these. Anybody seen one lately? I wish I could locate some pics!
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I know they are selling new campers that fit. Or do you really want the old style?
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Campers on a Flareside truck?

Post by jzjames »

Yeah I guess I am thinking of old vintage ones. (67-72 is considered vintage, right?). I know they had them for the stepsides in the 50's and 60's. For the new ones to fit they would probably have to be made custom to fit our stepside boxes.
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

You know,in the old days you could also build your camper shells out of kits...I had a neighbor that bought one like that...had to soak the interior wood for several days so it would bend at the corners...Seems like they would be difficult to mount to the top of the bed because on stepsides they're rounded...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

:lol: Yup. Heres one from an old magazine from 1960. It has a canvas band around the camper so it can pop up for more headroom. Its like an old Popular Mechanics magazine, with plans and all...
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Now,that's whatcha call 'livin'....I was talking to a lady recently who said her dad hand built a camper shell for their brand new '55 Ford pickup-complete with army field phones so they could talk from cab to camper...She swears the camper companies stole her father's idea.....
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!