Compressor Question?

General Discussion Topic Archives
wolfpack

Compressor Question?

Post by wolfpack »

I know this probably is the right area but just need a quick response to this question. At walmart they have an air compressor that has all the tools and stuff but doesn't say what hp it is but says it can run all those air tool if anyone seen it, or do i just go with the campbell brand 5 hp that can run the tools longer i don't know what do you guys think? let me know asap sending wife there today....Terry
The dumbest question in the world is the one you don't ask.
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

What tools is it claiming to run?

Is it a direct connect oilless compressor?

What are the CFM ratings on it?
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Compressor Question?

Post by FORDification »

It's probably too late...but when looking at an air compressor you really need to know the HP and the CFM output before purchasing...and the CFM rating is actually more important than the HP rating. Plus before we could really offer a recommendation we'd need to know how you intend to use it. Would it be strictly for running basic air tools, or do you think it could be used for air-intensive jobs like sandblasting or painting. If it's going to see some heavy-duty use, you really shouldn't settle for any less than 13-15 CFM minimum...and that's cutting it close. Anything less and your compressor will be exceeding the duty cycle to keep up with the demand, meaning it's going to get hot and burn up before it's time.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

thanks keith and spartman i will keep that in mind when i get one...Terry
The dumbest question in the world is the one you don't ask.
72hiboy4x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic
Location: As far away as I can be from Wa state, without crossing the Mississippi

Post by 72hiboy4x4 »

if you like your ears, try to avoid a direct drive compressor. I have a craftsman 6 hp DD and you cannot have a conversation with it running nearby (like 1/2 mile away). not to mention waking the neighbors if it comes on in the middle of the night.
but I must say I am happy with it otherwise. runs everything I can throw on it, and fills a 60 gallon aux. tank also.
at least 8 years and still going strong!
In life many men take the path of righteousness, some take the path many others follow (G.M. owners, for example), some take a more arduous path, some a simpler path. I, sir, took the PSYCO-PATH!!
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

I got the same one. Mine threw a rod and kept going. It's loud, but
it works good.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

got a CH 4 gallon 2 horse with 7 cfm i was thinking basic air tools and the occasional ball or tire. If i got it to fill a 10-60 Gallon aux would it be a little better?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Forcing a small motor & pump to fill a large tank is just causing it to work past it's duty cycle and is a sure way to burn it up.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

ok than skip on the lrg tank. would an extra five gallons work? Or do i use this for small jobs and buy one for the bigger jobs?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

rjewkes wrote: Or do i use this for small jobs and buy one for the bigger jobs?
Basically... yup!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
michaelbrainard

Post by michaelbrainard »

a few years ago, I bought the C/H compressor ( 5 hp ) from Walmart with all of the tools. I thought I could spray with it...forget that. Spray 15-20 seconds....wait 3 minutes for the compressor to catch up....blah. Sold it ( kept the tools...actually came out ahead :) ) and bought a 7hp 80 gal 230V ...I think it is 15-16cfm at 90psi...but I could be wrong. I love it..but could use bigger! It has a hard time keeping up with my sand blaster. Bust out the credit card and get the biggest you can fit in your garage.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I totally agree. Buying an air compressor is one area a person should NOT skimp....buy more than you can afford, because you WILL use it's full capacity if you have it.

Like I always say: It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 8) And this is especially true with air compressors. Bigger IS always better.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video