Original or Custom?????

General Discussion Topic Archives
dcopr

Original or Custom?????

Post by dcopr »

I have been debating on restoring my truck to original or custom! On the original side this was my grandfather's truck (Lunar Green & White) that I have memories as a child riding in. I was really set on restoring to original. My son wants me to customize the truck for him, painting gunmetal gray w/ silver or solid black, chrome rims, white letter tires, tinted windows, chrome the engine, dual exhaust etc.. :? I guess either way it would be the same truck and cool to pass on to my son. What do you guys think?? Also I seen a pic of the gray or silver on this forum but can't find it now. It did look sweet!

dcopr
blue68

re: Original or Custom?????

Post by blue68 »

Hey, just to let you know: It will turn more heads if it's original. I belive it will be worth more too.

Example: My brother has a 1979 LWB XLT that is restored back to original. It's a sweet truck and does anything you need it to. He's been offered $14,000 for it more than once. Most all people's first comments are "look how original it is!"

On the other hand, my dad has an identical XLT LWB, restored fully, but has a cammed up 302, aftermarket parts, Rims, white letter tires, wierd looking interior peices, and he can't seem to find anyone who thinks it's worth more than $6k. People look at this truck and say, "Hey, that looks cool, but if I was going to buy one to own, I'd want to start on a clean slate with something thats done back original so I can leave it that way."

I like the original look, and I'm working on making my 1968 SWB as original as possible. I'm 15 and I know, because I go to school with a bunch of them, kids always want to modify the mess out of something. I don't see why they can't respect the way Ford did it. Old trucks are Rare enough, especially those done right.

Thats my 2c, Thanks.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I agree, original looks real good when it looks new. As for some of the "out of site" things, go for it. Dress up the engine. Add some chrome underneath. Whatever makes you happy. That is what I plan to do with mine. Might change my mind but for now it sounds like a plan.
steveheer

Post by steveheer »

:yt:

I like the factory look, factory chrome, but engine dressup can be done tastefully too!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
19674x4
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 19674x4 »

id'e do it back to origional but with some modern conveniences, such as tachometer, bette(color) wires, underhood chrome, and dual exhaust, can't forget the seat covor
My Photo Album
2012 Cummins-the luxury Tow Pig
1967 F-250 highboy 352, np435(((((((sold))))))))) My first true love
1968 F100 SWB. 360, np-435, flatbed, currently acting as a hornest nest and bee hive.
1971 F-100 4x4 Step-side. 360, np-435, 70k origional miles- needs allot of love.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

It sounds as if the truck has some sentimental value to you.

I would find another truck to do for your son and do this one for you. No mater how great of a kid he is or how responsible, he will not appreciate the truck and value it as you do. Even the best of inexperienced drivers have accidents and their vehicles are frequently exposed to more hazardous conditions (Like High School parking lots)

Besides that Lunar green is a kick ass color and It will look better restored...

:2cents:
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Go for original with this truck and get another one for you and your son to do the upgrades/ modifications to. Or split the difference and do some mild upgrades to this one, while leaving the paint and interior restored to original.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Well, you have to do what YOU think is best. Honestly, most of these guys are restorer types. I appreciate both and love hot rods and really love customs. Gotta disagree with the de-valuing if modified comments though. If well done and you do the right mods, it will be worth way more than any original can fetch. Remember we're talking huge production numbers, and not the most popular resto. project when compared to all the Mustangs and Camaros out there. My hiboy will go through (some day) what is call a restofication. It will keep the factory appearance, but the paint, mechanicals and interior will be upgraded to better than stock. The biggest challenge on selling a custom is finding the right buyer. Again it needs to be done right. If building it for your son, then let him have some say so he is energized by the project and feels some ownership and responsibility. Otherwise it'll seem like Dad's project.
That's MR. Jackass to you fellah!
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

I like a little mix and match,myself...Sometimes it depends on how your truck came from the factory...If it was a Ranger XLT shortbed with all the factory bells and whistles,I'd prolly keep it original, 'cept maybe put glasspacks and cool wheels and a good stereo...every teenager should be more than happy w/ that...especially if you're spending your money...

Grampas always did strange things to their trucks,too....Compasses on the windshield...statues of the Blessed Virgin on the dash...strange buttons that maybe no longer have any use...keep some of those things that bring back fond memories...you probably remember the inside of the truck more than anything else...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
blue68

Post by blue68 »

hey everyone, i'm in school right now, so I've got to make it short. There is nothing wrong with modifications at all. Some are actually pretty cool. Some aren't. Original is just MY Preference. Others may have different opinions, and that's cool in my book. To me, as long as you have an old truck, you're set!
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

This is a great topic. I picked up an almost all original truck that I decided needs to stay original, even down to the 5 1/2 rims...but the burn for a semi-customized truck continues. I miss the look of Cragar SS's and the sound of headers and flowmasters.
71 F100 302/3.03 Project Truck Underway
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Let your son call the shots. Sound like hes got the vision and motivation to update the old truck and give it new life. :rock:
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

If the truck has this much sentimental value to you restore it how you want and then purchase another truck for you and your son to do as he wishes.
LilJack

Post by LilJack »

My personal opinion would be to restore the truck the way you want it for yourself. If one day you do decide to hand it down to your son he can do what he wants to at that time instead of getting what he wanted it to be now (if that made sense).
marz68
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by marz68 »

:yt: it dose make sense I agree.