Going to the Barret/Jackson Auction Today...

General Discussion Topic Archives
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Going to the Barret/Jackson Auction Today...

Post by Joe Kriston »

...Wasn'n going to go this year because,well,the tix just keep getting too expensive,and frankly,there's not enough mirrors around the place to remind me to wipe the drool off my face--it can be embarrassing...But some lady knocked on my door(she had showed some interest in my '60 T-bird a while back),and said a T-bird collector from Minnesota is in town and might be interested in buying mine....Anyway,she works the info booth at the B/J auction and gave me a couple of free tickets--so what the heck,I'm going....

So if anybody wants me to pick up Elvis' old Lincoln,..or an AC Cobra or a Thunderbolt,...lemmee know and I'll see if they'll accept out-of-state two party checks to hold it for you :wink: ...
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
spartman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by spartman »

How bout a DeLorean.

My credit is good........sorta.

As long as I can pay with a check and they don't need money I'll be good.
steveheer

re: Going to the Barret/Jackson Auction Today...

Post by steveheer »

With free tickets I'd be going!! I wouldn't be in the market for ANYTHING right now, even if the prices were not inflated, but I"d sure like to go check out all the autos!

Have fun!
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Well,I went to the auction today,took about 60 pics 'til the camera ran out of card space,or whatever it's called....I should be able to post some pics tomorrow,at least the one's of interest to most of us here...

To tell you the truth,I got pretty bored after a short while...Oh,I enjoyed looking at the cool and pristine old stuff--the new stuff,...the gals with the boob jobs,but after a while I started yawning at another 409,or another hemi,or Yenko Chevy clone....muscle cars,..hotrods....that's really what the auction has become...There were a few oddballs out there,but the real money is in the Z-28's,the Mach I's,the Hemis....I guess the collecting publc is getting younger,there weren't too many '50's cars,or the old Deusenburgs or Packards--those collectors are dying off,I guess....

There were a couple of trucks,and I'll put up some pics,but I kinda miss some of the wider variety of unique vehicles that used to be up for auction at B/J....
This is the point...I'm....talking about everybody! I'm talking about form! I'm talking about content! I'm talking about interrelationships! I'm talking about God, the devil, hell, heaven!!!! Do you understand???? Finally!!!!
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

a mach 1 went for 37.000 on tv last night. on that auction. and a fastback went for around 23,000. until i turned the channel.
capeclassics

Post by capeclassics »

Hey Joe...ya promised to take me....oh well.I can remember when "collector cars" was a hobby...dem was da days
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

I was watching that as well. I was flabbergasted at some of the prices the cars were going for. For example, there was a nice '67 GTX that had been fairly well restored, except that it had a Hemi in it....not original. That thing went for $110,000!! :eek: I could MAYBE see that kind of price if it was all-original and low miles, but it was a clone!
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by GT-Racer »

I know of a guy who has a numbers matching all original hemi cuda. He reportedly turned down half a mill he was offered. He cant even drive it for fear of an accident. I say take the half a mil :$$: , retire, build a nice hemi clone and enjoy driving it. Geesh :roll:
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

I say F*** It! Man Drive the thing. I'd rather have something i can drive than look at sitting. No trailer Queen Drive Way hoggers for me. Mercy Sakes Alive.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you don't drive anything worth that much unless its on a closed lot or track.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Yeah but i don't think a 67-70 charger with all stock 440 six pack or 426 hemi would fetch over 50,000 unless at barret jackson wich to me seems like richer persons auction. And people are driving $40,000+ Vehicles on the road now.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

but think about the replacement cost of that old of a car. if a person could even find some of the parts.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Oh yeah but man it'll eventualy rust out any way so i say have some fun. Beside if the guy wrecks you from behind, He/His insurance has to pay. And you have the right to have your vehicle fixed not replaced unless it truly is beyond fixing.
fuelly.com
Joe Kriston
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Joe Kriston »

Hey,CapeClassics,how the heck are you?...Or even more importantly,how's my---er---your truck?...

Ok,letsee if some of these pics show up...

Testing,one,two,three...how now brown cow...

Guess not....I have to down size them...lessee if I can figure out how....

Did anybody catch what the announcer said the auction fee is?

$300 registration fee.
Buyer pays 8% commission on top of the price of the car.
Seller pays B/J 8% out of the cost of the car also.

Thats 16%!!! If your winning bid on a car is $10,000,you actually pay $10,800 for the car, and the seller only nets $9200... :$$: :$$: :$$: Wheeeee doggie!
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

I didn't make it this year :( have been twice in the past 3 years. Great time and would have loved to attend. I do get daily updates from some friends attending the show. Thanks for the reading
Isn't that 8% fee (buyer and seller) something WOW. It is my understanding all vehicles entered must be with out a reserve so if your not happy with the sale you (the owner) must be high bidder to buy it back. So to get your own car back it would cost you a 8% buyer fee and a 8% seller fee.
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com