Vertical vs Horizontal Oil Filters on FE

Engine-related FAQs

Moderator: Ranchero50

Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Vertical vs Horizontal Oil Filters on FE

Post by Chasbod »

"Trucks with FE motors have an oil filter housing which holds the filter vertically. A car engine will have a a filter housing which mounts the filter in a horizontal position. If you've got a car engine in your truck, you'll have to use a truck-type filter mount to enable you to tighten the power steering pump."

The above was taken from the notes on converting manual to power steering. I have pics of a 71 360 showing a horizontal oil filter. Wrong engine?
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Vertical vs Horizontal Oil Filters on FE

Post by 68F250 »

Cars w/ the FE use the vertical oil filter adapter.

2WD trucks w/ the FE use the horizontal oil filter adapter otherwise the filter would hit the front crossmember.

4WD trucks use the vertical adapter 'cause the front crossmember is in a different location plus a horizontal adapter would hit the steering shaft.

Personally I think the horizontal adapter flows better than the vertical one, has bigger passages and less turns.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
'75-4x4guy

Post by '75-4x4guy »

You can use the horizontal adaptor with the steering conversion by using the FL300 oil filter .
By using that filter you wont have any clearance problems .
I did this for a short time until I was able to find the C8AE-6881-A that way I could use the full size filter .
Either way you can't go wrong .
Jon
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

No, just bad writing by the author of the article. (Now who the heck who have written that??) ;)

I have that backwards. The oil filter is mounted in a horizontal position in Ford trucks, and in a vertical position on Ford cars. Here is a picture of a car engine (390) that's in my parts truck. You can see that the vertical filter actually contacts the crossmember. Since there isn't room to twist off the filter off, you have to actually remove the housing from the block to change the filter:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
dcbullet
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: re: Vertical vs Horizontal Oil Filters on FE

Post by dcbullet »

FORDification wrote:Since there isn't room to twist off the filter off, you have to actually remove the housing from the block to change the filter
That sounds like fun. :hmm:

I'll bet when the owner got to 3,000 miles he said. "well...another 500 will be ok"
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Keith,

Considering all that I have learned because of you and this forum, I'll let you slide on that one! :wink:

Glad to get that straightened out. BTW, if I understand correctly, on a 71 FE 'armstrong' auto, If I were to use a Bendix PS box, no changes to the steering column are required? What about adding the 1'' tab for the gear indicator situation?

Thanks
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

The former owner of my truck had some weird ways of fixing my truck, but now you guys are starting to scare me. My truck had a vertical filter on it when I got it. We got rid of it because the guy had jb welded the oil pressure hole closed. I think he tried to add either a transmission cooler or an extra cooling fan, because it had a smaller radiator sitting in front of the big radiator, and it looked like a kit in lmc, also my truck has a fan shroud. Anyways at the time, my dad and I just thought that maybe it was redesigned for the 72 model, and since I needed to know what my oil pressure was, we put my dads oil filter housing on there, which is horizontle. Please don't tell me I have a car engine in my truck, that makes me feel like we got screwed....even though it does run good. Are there any other differences in the car engine? Sorry for the long post.

Stephen
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: Vertical vs Horizontal Oil Filters on FE

Post by flyboy2610 »

FORDification wrote:
I have that backwards. The oil filter is mounted in a horizontal position in Ford trucks, and in a vertical position on Ford cars. Here is a picture of a car engine (390) that's in my parts truck. You can see that the vertical filter actually contacts the crossmember. Since there isn't room to twist off the filter off, you have to actually remove the housing from the block to change the filter:
Hers's a tip for all you who have the vertical filter hitting the crossmember:
Use a 3/4 quart filter for a Dodge. Take your old one in with you to make sure the diameter and threads are the same.
My 390 had this situation. Eventually the filter split. Luckily it was in my driveway when it did it!
OIL EVERY WHERE!!! :x :x
The man at Snow Auto Supply here in Lincoln (my favorite parts house) told me about the Dodge filter. No more problems! :)
And I can change the filter with the fitting in place! :wink:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
'75-4x4guy

Post by '75-4x4guy »

:yt:
Use the FL300 ford oil filter :D
Jon