Aux fuel tank questions...

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

Brett

Aux fuel tank questions...

Post by Brett »

I want to replace the selector valve on my 69 F250 CS. Where would be the best place to find such an item? I think that it is sticking and not letting the fuel through.
Brett
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Aux fuel tank questions...

Post by FORDification »

Why not simply remove the one you have and just clean it out, if you suspect it's the problem? It would be fairly easy to remove and then you could work on it on the workbench. However, if you've got fuel delivery problems, I really kinda doubt that it's the selector valve. What are your symptoms and what have you looked at so far?
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Brett

So far...

Post by Brett »

I have both tanks full of fuel so I know that there is enough gas in there. I have moved the selector to as many positions that I can withsome success. Should the switch have a notch to let you know when to stop? It is labeled but the marks on the label do not seem to match what the results are.

I placed a protable boat fuel tank and connected an electric fuel pump to the system to test. With this set up, the truck ran great and did not have problems with fuel delivery.

I will pull the swith off and see what happens.
Brett
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hmmm....maybe when you pull the valve you could try blowing some compressed air through the the lines, must to make sure they're not clogged up. Often the valves DO have detents which let you know where the valve handle is supposed to be, but often they don't. If you get the valve out, you can check this too, and even mark it for future reference.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
Brett

Post by Brett »

I will do this and report back to the forum with my results.
thanks
Brett
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

I had a simular problem with the valve what i found was it had some rust restricting the fuel flow from the aux tank and if you only have two tanks the valve will have an off position for both tanks this is how the valve is setup in my truck so when you remove the valve check the positions and make a plate on the floor and mark it for the tanks position's. ( ps i do like the detent sound on mine it assures that the valve is where it's suppose to be in relation to the tank your using.
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD