Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

IDing my new 390

Post by jor »

67 F-100, 352

I picked up a 390 over the weekend. It's supposed to be out of a 63 T-bird. Anyhow, I'm looking for help in identifying the engine with the numbers.

BLOCK CASTING NR: C3A3 (under that is 6015-H)
CRANK NR: C3AEE with a check mark over the "A"

Thanks.
jor
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: IDing my new 390

Post by jor »

Someone on a forum dedicated to FEs (http://www.feandbbford.com/) tells me this is indeed a 1963 T-Bird. I'm going to get the head numbers tonight and see if they match this engine. I'll post.
jor
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

jor, I hope you know that block won't bolt into your truck easily. It's only got the two narrow motor mount bosses per side. '65 is when they added the extra two wider motor mount bosses per side (total of four per side)and those wider bosses are the ones that mate with the motor mounts in our trucks.

Barry
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Uh oh.... Thanks.
jor
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

jor, didn't mean to scare you off...

Maybe you could fab up some kind of butch plate that bolts onto the two narrow mounting bosses and extends forward with two wider bolt holes to mate with the mount? I'm sure you're not the first one to encounter this.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I first discovered the motormount thing with a remaned 332 hanging from a chain hoist in the engine bay of my 69 highboy. If you have the correct block to get the measurements off of you can make plates from 1/2 inch stock that have the holes you need taped in and bolt them to the other holes. The only thing I forgot to allow for the plates moving the mounts outward too so I had to slot the holes in the engine towers for the motor mount studs to pass through. And find some bigger O.D. heavy washers for the MM studs since the hole was slotted out.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Thanks, guys. My son has a 390 in his 73 and I've got the 352. We're going to pull his engine soon so we can get the measurements from his. I think this 63 T-Bird block is good so I'll take your advice and just do a flate plate mod deal thing to make it work. I'll post as I do this project (snail's pace, of course).
jor