Still having trouble with sloppy shift selector (automatic)

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

stang1986gt

Still having trouble with sloppy shift selector (automatic)

Post by stang1986gt »

Some of you have probably seen my recent posts about the sloppy shifter in my '69 F100. I put a new collar in (my old one was worn badly where the roll pin goes through the shift selector) and I put another shift selector arm on that Keith sent me that had a better tab. I also installed a new bushing down on the bottom of the shift rod that goes on the tranny linkage. But still, it's really bad. It just doesn't feel solid...you have to hunt for reverse, and it just doesn't feel right.

Could it be the collar, even though it's new? I thought I was buying a Ford collar, but I realized after I received it that it was made in Taiwan. Would a Ford collar be better? I noticed when I put this collar on that it felt stiffer and just didn't feel solid, but I thought it was because it was new.

Is there another bushing or something that I'm missing? Could it be the shift tube? This thing still wants to slip into reverse from Park easily and it's driving me nuts. I realize these trucks were bad about that even when new, but I've had other 67-69 F100s and none of them were this bad.

Thanks so much!
mrsnicks
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrsnicks »

Have you adusted the Linkage and the shift lever on the transmission? I had a truck that jumped into reverse but this was due to the fact that the linkage and the shift lever (on the transmission) were not adjusted properly.

To adjust loosed the nut that connects the 2. Put the colum shift handle firmly in park. Make sure the transmission shift lever is firmly in park. Retighten the nut, and see if that helps.

Patrick
Chevrolet
Can Hear Every Valve Rattle on Long Extended Trips

1969 F100 4X4 Highboy 390 3sp
1969 F100 SWB 2wd Auto 351w
1972 F100 Ranger XLT 302 Auto

http://mrsnicks.blogspot.com
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10336
stang1986gt

re: Still having trouble with sloppy shift selector (automat

Post by stang1986gt »

No, I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip...I'll see if that helps.
Ford_Doctor

Post by Ford_Doctor »

I have a Taiwan collar on mine and it seems to be fine (mine was also tight going on). The major failure on mine was the shift tube. Both spot welds on the tab broke away from the tube. First I scribed locating marks to realign the tab. Ground that tube smooth and drilled out the spot welds on the tab. I then welded the tab back on the collar, but only within the drilled holes of the tab. Ground the spot welds, and reassembled. There is another place where you can get slop. Check the shift tube to lever slop at the bottom of the column.
stang1986gt

Post by stang1986gt »

I think my tabs are fine, but I'll check them again. I haven't checked at the bottom of the column however...thanks. I'll check that as well.
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Also i beleive it is a nylon washer(for lac of correct term) That hold it all together down at the tranny.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
stang1986gt

Post by stang1986gt »

Yea, there's a nylon bushing that holds the rod into the linkage on the tranny. I replaced that last night because mine was totally gone. Didn't seem to help it any at all...I was kind of surprised.

I need to get someone to move the shift lever on the column while I check all the connection points to see if there's anything else I suppose.

Man, I love my old cars and trucks but :x
frisky

Post by frisky »

would you by any chance know the ford part # for those bushings? I would like to see if I can buy some online.

Thanks!
71 f100sb 390/edelbrock everything, 66 F100sb 240ci, 36 flathead pickup, 30 A roadster, Cat D2, Basset Hound Tucker.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

The part I believe you need to check out are the detent lever and spring inside the transmission itself...those are what controls how easily a transmission will move between shift positions. Here's a few graphics to illustrate what I'm talking about. These are scanned from the shop manual and show a C4 transmission, simply because they showed these parts the best...but they're essentially the same and located in the same place on an FMX or C6.

This first one shows the position of the detent lever inside the transmission. This diagram is looking at the bottom of the transmission with the valve body removed. The yellow arrow points to the detent lever:

In the second diagram, you can see that there's a small nylon roller on the end of the detent spring...this roller follows the detent lever and is what holds the shifter linkage in a certain position (gear). If the spring is weak, it's going to put less tension on the detent lever...less resistance means it's going to shift much easier, but will make it harder to find the gears. This is what creates the CLICK-CLICK-CLICK when you shift gears. The detent spring is held on by one of the valve body bolts. Just drop the pan and remove the bolt and spring and rebend the spring, to put a bit more pressure on the detent lever...no other disassembly required.

Here's a shot I took of a C6 linkage with detent lever that I removed from a '79 C6, specifically to retrofit the tranny-mounted neutral safety switch onto an earlier C6:

____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

There is also one of those nylon bushings on the top of the rod, it isn't gone as well is it?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

rjewkes wrote:Also i beleive it is a nylon washer(for lac of correct term) That hold it all together down at the tranny.
my vote is for the nylon bushing and washers on the shift linkage also. they can get worn and broke out and make it hard to shift. but if your searching a wide range maybe its in the trans like kieth said.
dos0711

Re: Still having trouble with sloppy shift selector (automatic)

Post by dos0711 »

So nobody answered the guy and since my problem is the same I'll ask...where can you get the nylon bushing that goes on the linkage at the transmission?
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I disagree with all of the above. There is a detent plate in the collar that prevents you from pulling the shifter out of park until you pull back towards you. This may be binding up.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

From reading the posts, I agree with busboy. If it's slipping out of gear, I'm thinking that the "comb" in the steering column is keeping the lever from falling into place, which is allowing the tranny to shift out of park. I've seen this happen before, with very extreme consequences, on much newer vehicles.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

colnago wrote:From reading the posts, I agree with busboy. If it's slipping out of gear, I'm thinking that the "comb" in the steering column is keeping the lever from falling into place, which is allowing the tranny to shift out of park. I've seen this happen before, with very extreme consequences, on much newer vehicles.

Joseph
Yes remember the famous ford truck recall or campaign on the shifters coming out of park? I think it was late 70's or early 80's.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.