Rear axle question for 9"

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

JWW
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Rear axle question for 9"

Post by JWW »

I have removed the axles from the rear end of my 1967 F100. I'm not worried about getting the bearings pressed off and new ones put on. However, when I removed the axles, I don't recall any gaskets. I have looked at ordering the bearings from Rock Auto. They show two different gaskets. I'm not sure what to go with. Here is a diagram:

I feel like the 4020 is the backing plate. I assume the 1001 is a gasket.

Can anyone explain what these are and if I need them?

What about the 1180 & 1177 parts?

Thanks
JWW
1967 F100 Ranger, Auto, 240ci
2004 F150 Crew Cab
My project: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Rear axle question for 9"

Post by ultraranger »

JWW wrote:I have removed the axles from the rear end of my 1967 F100. I'm not worried about getting the bearings pressed off and new ones put on. However, when I removed the axles, I don't recall any gaskets. I have looked at ordering the bearings from Rock Auto. They show two different gaskets. I'm not sure what to go with. Here is a diagram:

[ Image ]

I feel like the 4020 is the backing plate. I assume the 1001 is a gasket.

Can anyone explain what these are and if I need them?

What about the 1180 & 1177 parts?

Thanks
1177 is the axle seal and 1180 is the axle bearing retainer. The retainer would come with a new axle bearing.

There is a gasket that goes between the drum backing plate and the flange on the end of the axle housing. There is also a gasket on the outboard side of the drum backing plate that goes between it and the (4) hole stamped steel retainer that holds the axle to the rear end housing.

The purpose of the gaskets is to keep fine particles of brake dust from making their way into the axle bearings.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
JWW
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by JWW »

Thanks ultraranger

I guess if I would double check, the gaskets are so old they have stuck to the backing plate and/or axle. I agree about the benefit of the gaskets. Thanks again for responding.
JWW
1967 F100 Ranger, Auto, 240ci
2004 F150 Crew Cab
My project: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a
youngone

Post by youngone »

Ultraranger, So if I get this right the inner seal in the axel tube stops the oil from getting to the bearing. Are these bearings packed in grease?

Thanks.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

youngone wrote:Ultraranger, So if I get this right the inner seal in the axel tube stops the oil from getting to the bearing. Are these bearings packed in grease?

Thanks.
The (sealed) axle bearings are packed with grease at the time of their manufacture. The gear oil inside the rear end does not lubricate the sealed ball bearings on the axles. The only purpose of the axle seals is to keep the gear oil inside the rear end housing.

Over time, the grease slowly makes its way out of the sealed bearings and they eventually lose their lubrication.

A new sealed axle bearing, or even an older one in good shape, should have a fair amout of resistance to spinning freely. A simple check to see if the sealed bearing is still good is to take your thumb and place it against the side of the bearing and give it a swift spinning motion (obviously, the axle would have to be out of the housing to do this). If the sealed bearing spins more than 1-1/2 revolutions, this indicates most of the original grease in it has been lost and it's time for new axle bearings.

If you don't know how long the bearings have been on the axles or just have doubts about them, it's probably best to remove the old bearings and press new ones on. New bearings aren't that expensive and are much cheaper than having old ones come apart and tear up something else in the process.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
youngone

Post by youngone »

Thanks Ultraranger, You have once again helped me.
Thanks again. :D Good to have guys like you on this board.