Clutch issues

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

bp69f100mutt

Clutch issues

Post by bp69f100mutt »

Ok, I haven't been on in awhile, and I haven't got to work on my project in awhile either. Today, I started the build to move it back over in front of garage to finish up the things I need before I can take it on maiden voyage. Clutch goes in, gears grind :eek: .

Here's the build: 1974 4x4 f100 chassis (360, np 4spd, np205 tcase, 4:11 gears), 1969 cab, misc front clip with 1969 grill, 1972 bed (side markers). I kept the tranny and tcase, but ripped out the blown 360 for a 1962 390 with 428 reman cam, 1965 427 heads, 1966 4bbl intake from a 1966 galaxie 390, and a carter 650. (I have all the casting numbers, just not where I am).

When I moved the truck out of garage and around back to where the bed was, clutch worked fine, as I used the motor as the brake. This was back in March. I started it up and let it run for 20min on Easter to break in the motor, and a few other times here and there for some friends and relatives since, but haven't tried moving it. But, as I stated above, today I go to move it, and it just grinds.

Clutch and pressure plate are from my 2WD (now a trailer) which were new in 2013, maybe 40k on them. Pilot and throw out bearing are new. The cab had a 240 I6 w/ a 3onTree. I'm not sure if there's any difference in the linkage or not. I also adjusted out the rod that pushes on the clutch fork about 3/4". All that did was make the pedal harder to push at about 1/2 way to floor, so I'm leaning away from linkage. Bell housing bolts are all tight, and same with p.plate bolts (I had my son bump the motor over so i could check them all).

I'm lost people. Anyone have anything to add that might help me locate the issue?
Ford came first, and the Dodge Bothers made the motors for Ford. Who are these lil boys and their "Bow-Ties?"
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Clutch issues

Post by eggman918 »

I might not be understanding you but when my 4bt was waiting to go in it sat for close to two yearsand when it was time to start it the clutch would not disengage it had sat so long that flywheel clutch disk and pressure plate became stuck together.
Try blocking the wheels setting the E brake and starting it with the clutch depressed the sudden shock of it starting should break them loose if thats the problem :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
bp69f100mutt

Post by bp69f100mutt »

Thanks for the input Steve, but that wasn't the case. I'm self employed and in the process of buying a house, so have been too busy to mess with it. Now, I'm strapped for time to get it moved! However, moving it yesterday afternoon, I found a chunk of metal on the ground under where the transmission was. Low and behold! One of the three arms of the pressure plate had snapped off. I'm not sure how or why this happened, but not something easily seen without separating the transmission from motor. So, looks like I get to drop the tranny and tcase tomorrow. :o
Ford came first, and the Dodge Bothers made the motors for Ford. Who are these lil boys and their "Bow-Ties?"
radioactivelarry

Post by radioactivelarry »

bp69f100mutt wrote:Thanks for the input Steve, but that wasn't the case. I'm self employed and in the process of buying a house, so have been too busy to mess with it. Now, I'm strapped for time to get it moved! However, moving it yesterday afternoon, I found a chunk of metal on the ground under where the transmission was. Low and behold! One of the three arms of the pressure plate had snapped off. I'm not sure how or why this happened, but not something easily seen without separating the transmission from motor. So, looks like I get to drop the tranny and tcase tomorrow. :o
I had a problem with the clutch release lever pivot that the release lever pivots on that is riveted to the inside of the bellhousing. Mine broke and the clips that hold the release lever to the throw out bearing also broke. The clutch was a bear to push in and stopped working altogether. Had to pull the tranny (NP-435) and drop the bellhousing to replace the pivot which is riveted on and had to grind it off with my Dremel. I found the pivot at MAC Auto catalog but since have found the Mustang guys sell the same part and may have it in stock (about $17.00 complete with new rivets but I went to the hardware store and used grade 8 countersunk hex head bolts and nylock nuts with liquid thread lock just in case). I replaced the throw out bearing (O'Reilly $35.00 National bearing) along with new Z bar bushings with felt washers ($16.00 per pair)and linkage (around $5.00) I also replaced the return spring because it flew off when the pivot broke and was lost. Everything works like a new clutch now. Didn't have to replace the clutch or pressure plate as they were in great condition.
I attribute the pivot breaking to the worn out Z bar bushings as they were really sloppy.
:woohoo:
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive: