'68 F250 w/ 390FE flywheel change help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Lone Wolfe

'68 F250 w/ 390FE flywheel change help

Post by Lone Wolfe »

Hello all, this will be my first post here on the great fordification, and I am seeking help. I am going to look at 1968 F250 in the hopes of buying it. The truck itself is awesome: Dana axles, a big 390, np435 trans. The owner did however mention that the flywheel is missing a tooth, so every now and then when that lines up with the starter it grinds. I've had that before in a truck but never got around to replacing the flywheel. Usually just rotated the fan and got it to start... but I want to do it right this time lol.

I have replaced a few starters on different rigs, but I've always just been able to reach up in there and get it off. I'm sure a flywheel is more complicated... :?

My question is simple: How would one go about changing the flywheel without pulling the engine?
A quick google search revealed that dropping the trans is a must, but didn't actually tell me what to do. I'm certain that if I spend enough time underneath I'd eventually figure it out... but hey that's what you geniuses are here for! :wink:

To note: the truck does have a divorced transfer case, does that make it easier?

Thanks for the help!
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: '68 F250 w/ 390FE flywheel change help

Post by eggman918 »

Worst case you will need to drop the drive line between the trans and T case,unbolt the trans cross member from the frame remove the trans tunnel cover unbolt the bell housing. that rig up something to support the trans and slide it back to get to flywheel. The ring gear on the flywheel can be replaced it comes off and on from the engine side of flywheel you should be able to drive it off with a big flat tip chisels by hitting it 2 or 3 times then moving 90* or 120* and repeating the process untill it comes off to install the new one wait till the WIFE is gone and put it in the oven at 400* for 30-45 minutes while waiting set the flywheel up no 4x4's at a comfortable height to work at the gear "should" drop right on but have the 3# hammer ready with the chisels or a piece of steel rod/bar to drive iy on should it get cocked or hung up before it seats fully you will know it seated as it will sound different when hitting it when it does. :thup:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Lone Wolfe

Post by Lone Wolfe »

eggman918 wrote:Worst case you will need to drop the drive line between the trans and T case,unbolt the trans cross member from the frame remove the trans tunnel cover unbolt the bell housing. that rig up something to support the trans and slide it back to get to flywheel. The ring gear on the flywheel can be replaced it comes off and on from the engine side of flywheel you should be able to drive it off with a big flat tip chisels by hitting it 2 or 3 times then moving 90* or 120* and repeating the process untill it comes off to install the new one wait till the WIFE is gone and put it in the oven at 400* for 30-45 minutes while waiting set the flywheel up no 4x4's at a comfortable height to work at the gear "should" drop right on but have the 3# hammer ready with the chisels or a piece of steel rod/bar to drive iy on should it get cocked or hung up before it seats fully you will know it seated as it will sound different when hitting it when it does. :thup:
Oh wow, ok thanks!
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

The way I'd do it is

- Rent a cherry picker if you don't have one
- Disconnect everything from the tranny, take out the floor panel, slide it/rotate it hanging from the cherry picker
- Turn the motor by hand and pull the clutch cover and disc
- I think you can then pull the flywheel, worst case, you pull the bell and starter (might be easier that way anyway)
- Do the heat trick on the new ring gear (keep in mind it doesn't need much, 200-250 and it drops right on. If the chisel won't take the old one off, cut it
- Reverse the steps, BUT, I recommend you buy a new clutch while you are in there.
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Eggman forgot a couple things:

1) take some ibuprofen before you start.
2) Lay in some adult beverages for when you're done.

Other than that, spot on.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

tsherry wrote:Eggman forgot a couple things:

1) take some ibuprofen before you start.
2) Lay in some adult beverages for when you're done.

Other than that, spot on.
:yt: :lol:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
Lone Wolfe

Post by Lone Wolfe »

Haha! My old man also reccomended to use an acetylene torch torch to both take the old ring gear off and put a new one on. But, I'll be storing it in the memory banks as this particular truck fell through. :doh:
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Or take your truck and $300 to your local tranny shop. That's what I did when I had a cracked flex plate. Saved me a ton of swearing, and it kept the beast on the road. Otherwise, it would probably still be parked in the driveway.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
daveford72

Post by daveford72 »

Always park on a hill and have a chain ready for that little tug from a buddy when that don't work. :thup: