Silicone as a Thread Locker?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Silicone as a Thread Locker?

Post by colnago »

I started rebuilding a C6 last week. It has a short tail, and the 10-spline yoke is bolted to the end of the output shaft. In order to remove the nut and yoke, I had to cut a bunch of silicone sealer off. The nut was not a castle nut; there is not a hole in the output shaft for a cotter pin. Did Ford use silicone to keep the nut from loosening, or was this something that an owner did after the fact? Just curious. There was also no washer of any kind.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Silicone as a Thread Locker?

Post by colnago »

I dug into it a bit more today. Seems that the grooves also had silicone. Now, I'm wondering if it was more to seal the rear of the tranny than as a thread-locker.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I ran into an old thread where BobbyFord said to put silicone in the grooves to keep the tranny from dripping out the rear. So, I guess it's more for sealing from leaks than it is to keep the nut in place. Makes me wonder why Ford didn’t use a castle nut, unless they figured that the yoke couldn't go anywhere with the front driveshaft keeping it in place.

Joseph
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Yep. I also do it to water pump bolts to keep them from rusting to the block and corroding to the water pump / timing cover.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.