Tool List for NP435 Rebuild

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

FordManSteve

Tool List for NP435 Rebuild

Post by FordManSteve »

Hello all,

It is good to be a new member of Fordification! :fr:

I recently purchased a 1972 F100. It was originally a 3 speed with the shifter on the column. However, at one point the previous owner replaced the original transmission with an NP435. I really enjoy this transmission but am having trouble with second popping out of gear while decelerating/ letting the clutch out to shift into third. It also wails like a calf in a hail storm when I hold the clutch in. It stops whining after the trans warms up (so it seems.)

As a solution to these issues I've decided to rebuild the trans. However, I'm not sure if I'll need any specialized tools besides a dial indicator. Will I need a press? How about bearing pullers? I am mechanically inclined but lack experience.

If anyone could provide a tool list it would be most helpful. I've found an affordable kit and have recently purchased a transmission jack. :help:

Thanks very much for your time and advice!
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Tool List for NP435 Rebuild

Post by Busboy »

Ive done many of them years ago. There really aren't any special tools required other than hand tools. Feeler gauges to set the clearance, brass punches, an impact wrench maybe for the tailshaft nut but not really much else other than common hand tools. I'd recommend consulting the rebuild manual.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Sorry, I can't help, but I did want to say :wel:

Different beast, but I just rebuilt a C6 auto. No specialty tools required for this, but I did need to buy a torque wrench that measured inch-pounds (I bought a Capri 25 - 250 in-lb on amazon, $50). My only advise is to get a good book. I used the Haynes, and it has an entire chapter on tools. But the step-by-step said, "If you don't have a blah-blah-blah, then you can use a blah-blah-blah instead." I didn’t want to buy single-use tools, and I have more time than money, so I substituted a lot.

On other jobs, I've also found that local businesses will do one-offs for free.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hi,

When I rebuilt mine some years ago I did end up having to take one of the bearing retainers to a machine shop to have the old bearing pulled and the new bearing pressed in. I think it was the input shaft bearing retainer. Common hand tools and a block of wood.

I tried to attach the rebuild guide I used but the site doesn't allow .pdf files.

Take care,
Lee
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

Thank you all for the helpful replies! I will try to document the process and create a thread for the benefit of others.

Should I get the rebuild kit from Novak, or will any rebuild kit do? I know that the one from Novak comes with detailed helpful instructions and contains all parts I would need.

Lee, could you PM me that .pdf? That would be very helpful.

Thanks much!
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

FordManSteve wrote:Thank you all for the helpful replies! I will try to document the process and create a thread for the benefit of others.

Should I get the rebuild kit from Novak, or will any rebuild kit do? I know that the one from Novak comes with detailed helpful instructions and contains all parts I would need.

Lee, could you PM me that .pdf? That would be very helpful.

Thanks much!

I purchased the Novak kit and the instructions a parts supplied are top notch. I would suggest a dial indicator with a mag base to set the input shaft end play and flat end snap ring pliers for the full contact snap rings. Also a bearing puller is also a nice tool and a section of tube to press the new tail shaft bearing on.

I did mine last year so if you have questions answered let me know.

CStoyer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F250 4x4
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

One more when it was all back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 F250 4x4
FordManSteve

Post by FordManSteve »

CS Toyer,

That is one good looking transmission! Glad to know it can be done so well. I'll get the dial indicator and snap ring pliers you recommended.

What kind of tube do I need to help press the bearing on (diameter, etc.)?

Thanks for the photos! :thup:
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

FordManSteve

The tube I used was just a standard piece of black iron pipe that had an ID that just slid over the shaft and only contacted the inner race of the bearing. The pipe section was cut and squared on a lathe to provide surface to press the bearing over the exposed end of the main shaft. The inner race is all you want to press on when installing a bearing on a shaft.

Thanks,
cstoyer
68 F250 4x4