Do I have to replace axle bearings, seal and race

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

massillon preacher

Do I have to replace axle bearings, seal and race

Post by massillon preacher »

I pulled my axles to replace the drum backing plates, do I now have to replace bearing, seal and race or can I just put the axles back in and bolt down?
71Fe2O3

Re: Do I have to replace axle bearings, seal and race

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

That depends on the condition of the existing parts and your philosophy as a mechanic.

If the parts look OK and you want to get the job done without investing more time and money, and are willing to gamble that you won't have to take that system apart again any time soon, close it up and be done. Most likely it will be OK.

If, on the other hand, the parts are visibly worn, or if your inner voice tells you "this is an old vehicle, those parts are old, might as well replace them while I have this all apart" and you don't mind spending some more money and time, replace them, or at least clean them, refresh the grease and replace the seals if the races aren't visibly worn.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

:yt:

I just rebuilt a C6 tranny from a '71 F250. The hard parts were good, but it was incredible how dried out and hard the rubber seals were. At the very least, replace those. Cheap insurance.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I look at it this way - when I got my bump last August it was a good driving truck with just a couple things I noticed that needed attention - but even with that in mind I didn't know how long ago things like front wheel bearings, u joints, carrier bearing, etc had been replaced - if at all. So it all got replaced (or in the process of being replaced) - I would rather spend the money it did cost me for the piece of mind rather than wonder if 8 hours from my house something is gonna let go and leave me at the mercy of a mechanic somewhere....plus the tow bill.....just my :2cents:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR