Rear Axle Rebuild

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

qmcdugan

Rear Axle Rebuild

Post by qmcdugan »

Rear Axle Rebuild

I have the tag info or at least some of it de-coded.

The question is... Are the bearings pressed onto the axle from the spline end toward the hub (requiring a shop do the service). OR Are the bearings (some what like the front wheel bearings ) driven / pulled out and new pressed / driven into the housing, with the axle then slid through the bearing during re-assembly ? :hmm:

I'd like to know that I'm not opening Pandora's box... and I'd like to have the correct parts on hand, whether I do replacement or the shop does.

Truck is a stock 1970 Sport Custom
Ford F100 Differential Tag

WDM - S FORD

3.25 9 313A

Code Vehicle Ratio Ring Non- Axle
Application Gear Locking splines

WDM-S Ford Pickup '63-'72 F-100 3.25 9 in NL 28
70 F-100 Sport Custom, 84 Camaro SportCoupe
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Rear Axle Rebuild

Post by eggman918 »

Been many moons since I did a 9" but IIRC the bearings are pressed on/off the axle shaft and slip into the axle housing being held in place by the retainer with 4 bolts :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

There is also a retainer that goes on the axle shaft after the bearing #1180 in the illustration linked below
#4020 is the retainer that holds the axle assy. in

http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... ential.jpg
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:yt: All of the above. After I used a cutoff wheel to remove both the retainers and the bearings from my axles, a local shop charged me $50 for both axles to press on the new bearings and retainers.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

:yt:
Steve

basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

:yt:

They are pressed on and the retainer has to go on before the new bearing.
Don't let a hack job try to replace the bearing for you! I've almost maimed myself once trying to press the old one's off and have seen hack job's destroy a good axle by torching the inner part of the bearing off of the axle shaft. Find a GOOD machine shop and look at the bore of the axle real...good before throwing a bearing at it as the bores wear out from the bearing being ran bad for so long,-(necessitating a new axle). :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

The axle bearings and the bearing retainer rings (collars) are interference fit items that requires pressing them on. This is a one-shot deal of putting them on, since the act of pressing them on slightly stretches the I..D of the bearing and the retainer. They will never be this tight again so, if you have to take them back off --because you forgot to put the stamped steel axle retainer on first, you can go ahead and put those new bearings and retainers in the trash can.

The bearings and retainers should not be pressed on together. After you install the stamped steel axle retainer, press the axle bearing on then press the bearing retaining collar on.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
qmcdugan

Post by qmcdugan »

The " Old School " shop is about four blocks from my house. Just like when I needed the front end rebuilt. I'll drive it down there and drive it home when they are done. It took their 20 ton press to get the King pins out. Guys, thanks. :fr: I'd hoped that this might be within my grasp to do, but it is clear, it is not.
70 F-100 Sport Custom, 84 Camaro SportCoupe