rear differential ID

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

pikewrench

rear differential ID

Post by pikewrench »

I resently got a 79 E350 Super cab that has got me scratching my head. At one time some one stretched this to a 174 inch wheelbase as the added sections of frame became noticable after I found myself rewiring the rear lights on the flat bed portion. The rear section of the frame has me wondering if it is from a F350. It has a double set of leaf springs with the upper containing four springs and the lower main set set containing 10 leafs. It does have a full floating rear end that according to the tag is a 3.73, with the following data-D9TA DBA 603937-2, 10 bolt cover.. I would have thought that the D9 would signify the year 79, but unable to reference it further. Who ever built this rig did it for hauling purposes as it has both a lower trailer hitch and a 5th wheel hitch that both appear to be well used. The work/welding on the frame is top notched and appears to have been done many years ago. The front mounts on the cab are original, but the rear mounts have been moved and are not in the added section which, so it appears that the frame had a regular cab on it at one time by the original mount locations. It is registered as a 1979. I am hoping that maybe the rear end can shed some light or give me a starting point. It does have a 351/400 for that year that has been modified with a four barrel carb/intake and has been repainted with newer freeze plugs installed, runs good, but have some other electrical issues that i am processing thru. Bought it mainly to move a medium size backhoe/trailer and to tote firewood.
MadJoe

Re: rear differential ID

Post by MadJoe »

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but you have me very interested in seeing this truck. Any chance you could post some pics? Of course pics of the mods you mention would also be helpful for guys who can answer your questions.

Also :wel: from MA!

-Joe
1971 F-350 DRW SWB Stake Body
360 FE
C6 transmission
OEM disc brakes
OEM power steering
Dana 70 4.10 rear end
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: rear differential ID

Post by cep62 »

Does the left rear wheel have reverse threaded lug nuts?
I had a '79 F350 with the left hand thread on the left rear only.