300 6 with c4 trani starter is extremeley loud

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

49leadsled

300 6 with c4 trani starter is extremeley loud

Post by 49leadsled »

so here is the problem. the starter sounds like a chevy 350 starter not shimmed right. its super loud,
her are my questions. the trani might be from a small block ford. is there any difference between a 6 cylinder bell and a small block bell? second the starter maybe small block as well. are they the same? i didnt put the engine and trani in the truck. it was there when i got it, but i was told it had a 351w before the 6 went in.

thanks in advance
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 300 6 with c4 trani starter is extremeley loud

Post by basketcase0302 »

49leadsled wrote:so here is the problem. the starter sounds like a chevy 350 starter not shimmed right. its super loud,
her are my questions. the trani might be from a small block ford. is there any difference between a 6 cylinder bell and a small block bell? second the starter maybe small block as well. are they the same? i didnt put the engine and trani in the truck. it was there when i got it, but i was told it had a 351w before the 6 went in.

thanks in advance
Here will most likely be the culprit, (if this is an automatic?) as I've ran into it a couple of times where shade tree jackleg's failed to realize the importance of this part and tossed it in the trash! There is a spacer that belongs in between the engine and transmission that set the tolerance of how far the starter gear engages into the ring gear / flywheel. You'll have to look closely from above to see it but from below it's very visible where the starter bolts into the bellhousing. The 300 / I6 and SBF automatic C-4 bellhousings are one and the same but I believe use a different starter due to the ring gear, (maybe Steve or someone else can answer that part of your question better).

Here's what the shim / spacer looks like between the engine and transmission. And yeah it's well worth the effort to pull it back apart and put it in as I had one continue to eat ring gears and starers until I found it was missing to the tune of a few hundred dollars later. Ford never designed the starters to be shimmed like chebby did to rig them-Ford built them tough and built to last!

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DCh ... IKg&adurl=
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
49leadsled

Post by 49leadsled »

i never thought to check to block plate, thats a good idea........i but its that or a small block starter pushed in there two far. thanks for the info
49leadsled

Post by 49leadsled »

it has a block plate. must be the wrong starter
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

49leadsled wrote:it has a block plate. must be the wrong starter
Yes I'd bet wrong starter or the ring gear teeth were / are shredded.
Make sure your mating surfaces are nice and clean too, (for the ground). I've seen our Ford starters act up when they get less than 12 volts which can be a number of things, (ground . positive cable / starter solenoid / starter solenoid ground to inner fender / bad positive cable from batttery to solenoid / weak battery.

Had a Ford solenoid get stuck in the energized, (circuit to starter closed) position once (due to low voltage)! It was "Christine revisited" and the starter held into the continuously cranking mode. Six inches of snow covered road with a vehicle that wouldn't start and now the starter #4 size wire has turned cherry red and starts on fire! :eek:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

Inline 240/300 starter for an automatic has a 3/8" longer snout than a starter for an inline 240/300 with a standard transmission. If you have an automatic, you need a longer snout starter for an automatic. If you have a standard, you need a starter with a shorter snout.

The block plate should be between the engine and transmission but shims are not used on the starter, when the parts are correct.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
49leadsled

Post by 49leadsled »

the teeth are still good on the gear, im gonna buy a new starter this week and try it as i dont have a 300 with a stick to compare it to.