AOD install

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

WSWRANGER

AOD install

Post by WSWRANGER »

Anyone install an AOD in there F100, I have looked and cant find any posts. I want to install one in my 70 F100 build. Got lots of
Questions like shifter, drive shaft lenght or purchase. 302 C4 right now. Thanks for hearing me, Great site!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: AOD install

Post by basketcase0302 »

"WSWRANGER"]Anyone install an AOD in there F100, I have looked and cant find any posts. I want to install one in my 70 F100 build. Got lots of
Questions like shifter, drive shaft lenght or purchase. 302 C4 right now. Thanks for hearing me, Great site!
Stop by the welcome mat when you get a chance-folks here love...pictures.
:nopix:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
And I'd shoot our member Steve a PM as it seems I remember him posting some info on a stand alone programmer, (needed for the AOD to sense engine RPM and shift)?
http://www.fordification.com/forum/memb ... ile&u=9491

:pop:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ford-f100-1972

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

WSWRANGLER,

I have almost completed the swap on my "72 shortbed with a 302/C4. I have an aod out of an "89 Mustang GT and the swap is fairly easy to do. A driveshaft from a "93 Crown Vic just needed to be shortened by about an inch but otherwise was a direct fit for the shortbed wheelbase. Not sure what you would need if yours is a longbed.

The original column shift works very well but I had to fabricate a small bracket to attach the shift rod to the aod's shift lever. It took a little trial and error to get the angle and length correct but was worth the effort.

The trans crossmember needed to be moved back a couple of inches and new holes drilled in the frame. The C4 mount bolts right up to the aod.

You will need longer bellhousing bolts since the bosses on the aod are thicker than the C4. I even used the old '72 separator plate and so I didn't have to remove the flex plate which ended up being the correct 164 tooth to match up with the aod torque converter. Be aware that the flex plate on the old 302's have a 28oz weight, Newer 302/5.0 engines use a flex plate with a 50oz weight and will not agree with your old 302. The offset of my original flex plate was also correct to match up with the aod torque converter. Take measurements to compare the mounting face of the C4 converter to the aod converter. If they are not the same, you may need a new flex plate to match.

The cooler lines will need to be shortened but the fittings were the same on both transmissions. You can either bend new lines or cut and splice them with 5/16" brass unions. I also had to tweak the dipstick tube to get it to clear the firewall. The original starter bolted right up.

The only thing I have left to do is connect the tv cable to the Street Demon carb on the 302. I got the original tv cable from the Mustang and will need to figure out the geometry to connect it to the Demon. It is extremely important that the ratio of movement between the aod tv lever and the carb tv arm are as close to 1:1 as possible. If not, the aod will not shift correctly and could fail prematurely. I cannot stress this enough. DO NOT use the original C4 kick down rod. Lokar makes an aod tv cable kit if needed.

This swap was a lot of fun to do and looks like the old truck was meant to have the aod all along. I hope this but of information helps you with your project. :wink:
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

The driveshaft from a newer f150 is probably what you will need. Don't Sods use a cable to the throttle body that has to be adjusted properly?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Ford-f100-1972"]WSWRANGLER,
I have almost completed the swap on my "72 shortbed with a 302/C4. I have an aod out of an "89 Mustang GT and the swap is fairly easy to do. A driveshaft from a "93 Crown Vic just needed to be shortened by about an inch but otherwise was a direct fit for the shortbed wheelbase. Not sure what you would need if yours is a longbed.
The original column shift works very well but I had to fabricate a small bracket to attach the shift rod to the aod's shift lever. It took a little trial and error to get the angle and length correct but was worth the effort.
The trans crossmember needed to be moved back a couple of inches and new holes drilled in the frame. The C4 mount bolts right up to the aod.
You will need longer bellhousing bolts since the bosses on the aod are thicker than the C4. I even used the old '72 separator plate and so I didn't have to remove the flex plate which ended up being the correct 164 tooth to match up with the aod torque converter. Be aware that the flex plate on the old 302's have a 28oz weight, Newer 302/5.0 engines use a flex plate with a 50oz weight and will not agree with your old 302. The offset of my original flex plate was also correct to match up with the aod torque converter. Take measurements to compare the mounting face of the C4 converter to the aod converter. If they are not the same, you may need a new flex plate to match.
The cooler lines will need to be shortened but the fittings were the same on both transmissions. You can either bend new lines or cut and splice them with 5/16" brass unions. I also had to tweak the dipstick tube to get it to clear the firewall. The original starter bolted right up.
The only thing I have left to do is connect the tv cable to the Street Demon carb on the 302. I got the original tv cable from the Mustang and will need to figure out the geometry to connect it to the Demon. It is extremely important that the ratio of movement between the aod tv lever and the carb tv arm are as close to 1:1 as possible. If not, the aod will not shift correctly and could fail prematurely. I cannot stress this enough. DO NOT use the original C4 kick down rod. Lokar makes an aod tv cable kit if needed.
This swap was a lot of fun to do and looks like the old truck was meant to have the aod all along. I hope this but of information helps you with your project. :wink:
Were there any clearance issues with the bellhousing on the AOD and the firewall / did it go in easily as even my old 302 / C4 combo I had to jack the truck for the combo to feed in together-or did you install the motor and transmission separately?
Would love to see some pictures of this. It might also be a really good tutorial to submit as more and more guys opt for this combo, (doubtful I'd ever buy another C-4 in my lifetime unless it were to do an all original build.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ford-f100-1972

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

The bellhousing clears the firewall with room to spare. I left the 302 in place and did the swap from below. Took me about a half hour to get it bolted up. The C4 had the short tail shaft and a fixed yoke. The old driveshaft had the slip joint so I had to source a ds with a 28-spline slip yoke to match the aod.

I'll post pics sometime this weekend. Been busy with Thanksgiving coming up this week.
Ford-f100-1972

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

Here are a few pics of the aod in the truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford-f100-1972

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

And a few more..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford-f100-1972

Post by Ford-f100-1972 »

One more...