67 f250 help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Jwguitar

67 f250 help

Post by Jwguitar »

Hi I am a new subscriber. I have a 1967 Ford f-250 4x4, the other day I was coming home when I was driving up a steep hill the truck acted like the clutch was slipping "manual 4 speed" IE the motor was revving but had loss of power. I pushed in on the accelerator further and the truck came to a stop. The truck will no longer drive forward or backward, I am guessing the clutch went out. I am looking for feed back. As of right now the truck is stuck at the bottom of a 1 mile driveway in the snow. If it is a clutch replacement how difficult would it be under these circumstances? Thanks.
Ranchero50

Re: 67 f250 help

Post by Ranchero50 »

Nothing goes well in the snow, especially a clutch job. I'd drag it to a garage and do it inside or at least tarp around it and use a salamander to heat it up. Done it more than once and while not pleasant, the heater makes it doable. Way too much misery with cold fingers on cold metal.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Where is the clutch pedal when the clutch engages? If its starting to grab when the pedal is over halfway off the floor then you might be out of adjustment - it should start to engage with the pedal about 2 inches off the floor if adjusted right........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

It does sound like it's either gone or nearly so. I'd look at the linkage to see if there is any adjustment left in it--you might be able to nurse it to engage and drive it somewhere flat, warm and out of the snow.

I did a clutch on my '67 F250 in an unheated garage with a concrete floor in a cold January. I did have a space heater that made zero difference in the garage. I did the clutch in a day. Spent more time dicking around with a harbor freight transmission jack that was a waste of time than most anything else. Did spend about two hours with my son trying to get the trans aligned so she'd slip right back in place.

Clutch set at that point in time ( pressure plate, disc and throwout bearing with pilot bearing) was about $125.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

[quote="tsherry] Spent more time dicking around with a harbor freight transmission jack that was a waste of time than most anything else.[/quote]

I remember someone posting about using long bolts so they could slide the trans back instead of dropping the whole thing out - anyone remember where that was?........ :?

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

>>
I remember someone posting about using long bolts so they could slide the trans back instead of dropping the whole thing out - anyone remember where that was?........ :?>>

No, but that sounds pretty darned intriguing..

or, money.
Jwguitar

Post by Jwguitar »

It doesn't go forward or backward at all. I hadn't had a chance to adjust the linkage yet but I did look at it briefly. It looked to me like it was backed all the way out but I'll try. It's been snowing here and hard to get to. I did call to see what a new clutch would run $99.99-124. One place said there's 2 kinds a diaphragm and another i can't remember. I think they were referring to the cover? Iv never done a clutch before. I could use some helpful tips. I'm also looking for a manual.
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Try this thread:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... hp?t=49099

They did not state, "remove the driveshaft" in the list, but that's required. Disassemble the u-bolts holding the joint together on the driveshaft that is between the rear of the trans and the center support (assuming that this is a two-piece driveshaft), and be careful not to lose the needle bearings in the U-joint unless you want to replace it at the same time.

Replacing the clutch isn't particularly challenging, aside from being on your back, getting pretty dirty, and getting the proper torque on things to loosen them up and reinstall them. I did my first clutch when I was 18 or so in a driveway with a 3/8" set of sockets and a handful of wrenches and a bottle jack.

I'm much better equipped now, 40 years later.

or, money.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

tsherry wrote:
Replacing the clutch isn't particularly challenging, aside from being on your back, getting pretty dirty, and getting the proper torque on things to loosen them up and reinstall them. I did my first clutch when I was 18 or so in a driveway with a 3/8" set of sockets and a handful of wrenches and a bottle jack.

I'm much better equipped now, 40 years later.
You forgot the bottle of JD and box of Band-Aids......if you're anything like me those are requirements........ :cry:

Jwguitar,
A diaphragm type clutch - has multiple levers around the pressure plate - will be easier on your leg because it pushes with less effort but I have always went with a lever or "finger" type - only has 3 large levers on the pressure plate - in my trucks because I believe they engage better even though they take a little more effort......my :2cents:

1997 Honda CBR 900RR
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I start off with ibuprofen. Gentleman Jack is for when I'm done with it.

or, money.