How do i know i was sent the correct converter

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

rabbithunter2005

How do i know i was sent the correct converter

Post by rabbithunter2005 »

I ordered this boss hog torque converter from summit racing for my aod. Reason I ordered this one cause it was 181 bucks and it says its a non lock up converter. Long story short I bought a aod trans from monster transmission and after 18 months I snapped off the direct drive input shaft when I was hammering on it. Lost 3rd and 4th gear. So did some research bought the best input shaft summit had to offer and got the boss hog converter without the lockup feature to hopefully eliminate the very harsh shift in to drive and over drive. Well the convertor came today and I put the new input shaft in the converter and tried turning it by hand and the shaft seems to be locked to the back of the converter just like the original lock up converter that the transmission came with. Is this the way it should be on a non lock up converter? Shouldnt I be able to spin the shaft in the converter like u can in an old school c6.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
Ranchero50

Re: How do i know i was sent the correct converter

Post by Ranchero50 »

It's been a long time since I rejected the AOD's as junk but I'm pretty sure they never had lock up converters. They did have two shafts, one connected to the impeller and one to the back of the housing that drove the OD. OD slips both the direct drive and impeller drive to get the OD function to work. Absolute **** design IMHO.

Harsh shifts are caused by the TV cable not being adjusted correctly. Did you hook it up correctly and verify that the stroke is the same as the original host? PITA to make them work.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
rabbithunter2005

The very harsh shift is due to the shift kit monster transmission stuck in the transmission no matter where u adjust this TV cable it only determines the shift points now because I have a combatant pressure valve body that way I know I can't screw up the tranny if the adjuatmebt is not exactly perfect. I have 100lbs of line pressure in this tranny no matter what the TV cable is set up. Its a very food fail safe. And the all aod transmissions came with lock up that way there is no slippage when your in overdrive this way it acts like a manual transmission no slippage. The tiny input shaft is actually called a direct shaft and engages around 70 percent lockup in drive and 100 percent in od. Im trying to eliminate that by adding a non lock up converter so when I hit drive it don't bog the engine as hard and snap the shaft like I did the first one. Truthfully my truck ran mid 14 passes with a stock slipping aod. With this aod with all the goodies and the shift kit it actually runs slower at 15 flat. Pretty much I played 2200 bucks for a transmission. That makes my truck go slower Lol. I did call monster transmission about this when I broke the shaft cause im under warranty. They said my engine must be making more power than what I told them when I ordered it. First off if I was making more power I would probably brag about it to my buddies Lol. Then they wanted me to send it back to them and they would look at it to determine what happened and if I was covered under there warranty. And guess what I would have had to pay shipping which is 350 bucks they said. Then when it gets there if they determine that its my fault for my engine having to much power then I have to pay them to fix it. So I figures hell with it did some research and fixed it myself just curious about this converter that's all. Thank u sir for your reply I do know what u mean about these aod tranny being a pain in the u know where I just enjoy being able to drag race here and there with the 411 rear end and be able to cruise down the highway and get 14mpg.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
rabbithunter2005

That's supposed to say constant pressure valve body not combatant stupid smart phone auto correct
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
rabbithunter2005

Update I talked to summit racing tech support and got in an argument with him over how the ford aod achieves full lock up. He says it uses clutches to achieve full lock up. I said no it uses the direct drive input shaft which is locked to the torque converter housing. He said no the ford aod is just like the 700r4 transmission u have to modify it from within to get rid of lockup. I said to the guy whatever dude ill figure it out myself and hung up. So at least this summit guy didn't know what he was talking about don't know about others. Either way still in the dark whether the converter they sent was correct or even correctly labeled on their website so hell with it im gonna throw it in and if my truck bogus down in drive and overdrive like it did before ill know. Though id let u all know about the tech guy at summit tho he had such a bad attitude about it as well.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
rabbithunter2005

Final update called acc the maker of the boss hog torque converter the lady I talked to was very ever nice and informative. She told me summit has their converter advertised wrong. Summit says the converter is a non lockup. Acc says the converter is lock up. So she sent summit racing a email to hopefully correct what it says on their website. Now I gotta call summit and see if they will do anything for me in returning this and getting a non lock converter. I made sure I took a screen shot of the website so they could see their mistake and not deny it. After the argument I had with their tech department im not taking no chances.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d
rabbithunter2005

For clarification I received a new Hughes torque converter yesterday. Tested it to see if it was a lockup or non lock. They sent the correct one this time. Its a non lockup the input shaft spins freely inside the converter when its engaged to the splines. The lockup ones will spin the entire converter.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d