Trans and Transfer upgrade

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Bsauls

Trans and Transfer upgrade

Post by Bsauls »

Hey all, I have a 1970 F100 4x4 with 360, NP435 and Dana 21 transfer case. I want to go with a 5spd trans and beefier transfer case. Looking at NV4500 Trans to NP 205 Transfer case. Has anyone done this swap or know where I could find info to see what else would be involved changing over? I noticed an adapter kit to go from Dodge to Ford, what else? Any good sources for rebuilt units?
Lee

Re: Trans and Transfer upgrade

Post by Lee »

Hi,

If you do a search you will find a lot of info on the net concerning this swap.

Unfortunately, this project is rather expensive and most shy away.

I went the Ranger Torque Splitter Overdrive route and a 205 replacement of the Dana 24.... and it was hi $$$.

Lee
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Bsauls

This may get you started, but it is an old article (2005) and parts used may not be available, but anyway a NV4500 was put behind an FE. Also, keep in mind this was on a 2wd truck so Im not 100% sure what this will do to your t-case mount and or location assuming you still stay with a divorced 205. Regardless this is not going a bolt in deal but it can be done.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/in ... nsmission/

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
Bsauls

Post by Bsauls »

Thanks guys! I wanted to go with a stronger more reliable 4x4 system but seems like the "easy" option is to use the overdrive unit and just rebuild my NP435. I go up several hills that rev 3rd or lug 4th and fixing that is a more important than having a stronger drive line. In looking at the NV4500 and what it would take in time and money to make it work, it's more than I care to get into.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"cstoyer"]Bsauls
This may get you started, but it is an old article (2005) and parts used may not be available, but anyway a NV4500 was put behind an FE. Also, keep in mind this was on a 2wd truck so Im not 100% sure what this will do to your t-case mount and or location assuming you still stay with a divorced 205. Regardless this is not going a bolt in deal but it can be done.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/in ... nsmission/
cstoyer
No...don't go over to "The Dark side" it's a trick LOL! :eek:

:fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte: :fte:

Didya' try Gearvenders? But in advance-they're not cheap either.
http://www.gearvendors.com/index.html
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Bsauls

Post by Bsauls »

Thanks Jeff! I don't see a 4x4 option with them. When I am close to making a decision I'll give them a call and see if they offer an option. Overdrive units seem to be as expensive as the NV4500 so it will probably break down to what one is less of a pain to install
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Bsauls wrote:Thanks Jeff! I don't see a 4x4 option with them. When I am close to making a decision I'll give them a call and see if they offer an option. Overdrive units seem to be as expensive as the NV4500 so it will probably break down to what one is less of a pain to install
Their GV splitter works on the 4x4 but only impacts the 2wd. It fits on the back of transfer case between it and the rear drive shaft. Of course the final overdrive gearing is based on what your current rear gears are (they have a chart for the different sizes). As far as I can remember though it’s not quite as good/high as the overdrive gearing in a overdrive tranny. But its still better than stock and appears to be a simple install. Pricing is in the $3k range.

I plan to put one on with a C6 and 205 due to the reliability off all those components.
1972 F250 4x4 XLT stock but P.O. hacked
2010 F350 CC LB 4x4 stock
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Canonman67 »

Remember with the NV4500 you're not limited to the Dodge version. You can also use the 2nd gen GM version if you change the input shaft to the longer Dodge style.