74 f100 clutch is a little funny

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

78whiteorbs

74 f100 clutch is a little funny

Post by 78whiteorbs »

Not ha-ha funny either!

It shifts fine but a little shaky getting out of first. Even finessing the clutch its a little tricky to get a smooth take off. If I let the clutch pedal about 3/4 the way out first it seems like it is alot smoother. Could be just a worm original clutch? Shifts fine up and down and believe to be a 50k original mile truck.Runs great and there 3 on the tree is solidest tightest I have ever drove literally. No slop whatsoever, feels like I would imagine a new one would on the column. Just bought it and before rebuilding carb I was like having to rev the piss out of it taking off and finess the clutch like a lean jetted old two stroje bike or something! Its gotten way better but still jerky/shaky getting into firat from a full stop.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 74 f100 clutch is a little funny

Post by sargentrs »

Sounds like it's time for a clutch and throwout bearing replacement. Have the flywheel resurfaced while the tranny's out.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
78whiteorbs

Post by 78whiteorbs »

So I believe I will be replacing the clutch.
Anyhow to links or vids . I have a chilton so theres that but who doesnt like seeing pictures of something they've never done before?
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

If it shifts fine and your only complaint is a shaky take-off, check out the obvious and easy first. Check the rubber on the driver's side motor mount. A broken mount acts just like a warped flywheel/ clutch plate. Also check all other mounts like transmission and carrier bearing. Any one of geese could produce the same symptoms
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Mach428 wrote:If it shifts fine and your only complaint is a shaky take-off, check out the obvious and easy first. Check the rubber on the driver's side motor mount. A broken mount acts just like a warped flywheel/ clutch plate. Also check all other mounts like transmission and carrier bearing. Any one of geese could produce the same symptoms
Yup.
Mechanical linkage will be greatly affected by busted engine mounts. You are chasing after the linkage with your pedal but the torque lifting the engine will make you chase after the correct pedal input.
-Michael