Tutorial: How to remove windshield trim

Body and Paint-related FAQs
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Tutorial: How to remove windshield trim

Post by FORDification »

I had to remove a windshield today from my crusty parts truck, so I decided to take some shots of the trim removal, in case anyone needed some pointers on removing this trim from a junkyard truck. The only tool you'll need is a flat-bladed screwdriver, and it takes only a couple minutes to remove all 6 pieces (2 upper, 2 lower, 1 on each side).

Here's a shot of the parts truck, with the stainless windshield trim that needs removed:

Start on the passenger side's side trim. Insert your screwdriver along the outside edge at the bottom and gently pry up:

Don't worry...you're not going to bend or scratch it. I've removed this trim from dozens of trucks and haven't bent one yet. You only need to pry out enough to get your fingers on the trim. Now set aside the screwdriver and grab it:

...and gently pull outward (away from the truck) and twist in a clockwise direction. The trim will pop right off:

Now let's get the top one out on this side. Just insert your screwdriver up under the top lip of the trim and gently pry out, just enough to get your fingers under the trim:

Once you get a hold of the trim, just gently pull up while also twisting it in a clockwise direction, and you can work it off all the way across to the center of the windshield, where this piece ends:

Now let's get the bottom piece. Insert your screwdriver up under the lower lip of the trim and pry outwards...again, just enough to get your fingers on it:

Now with this piece you're going to pull down and twist in a counter-clockwise direction, and gently work it off over to the middle of the windshield:

That's it....you're done on this side. You simply need to move over to the left side of the truck and repeat the same process. From start to finish it won't take more than a couple minutes until they're all out.

As you can see, the stainless trim can hide a lot of imperfections. In this case, it was hiding the fact that the entire right side of the windshield gasket had broken away from the rest, leaving a pair of 1" air gaps on top and bottom.

If you're removing trim in preparation for also removing the windshield, here's a couple bonus pics. :wink:

Just grab your trusty utility knife and insert it between the glass and gasket about 1/2" (to the depth of the trim groove, which I'm pointing to with the utility knife) and simply run it around the perimeter:

This slices off the gasket lip which holds the glass in place. You'll want to cut the gasket along both sides and across the top, but don't cut along the bottom, as it'll help hold the windshield in place until you're ready to remove it. Here's what you'll see after pulling back the gasket lip that you've just sliced off:

After you've cut along the sides and the top, you simply have to push the top of the windshield out from inside the truck, and then lift it up and out of the bottom part of the gasket. :D

That's it! Class dismissed! :wink:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!