4x4 rear springs can go in 2 ways

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

davebb

4x4 rear springs can go in 2 ways

Post by davebb »

d to know which way the rear springs go in my 1970 F250 High Boy. Just blasted the frame, dana 60 and rear springs. Before I took them out I noticed the rear drive shaft slip joint was collapsed all the way and now the way I put the leaf springs back in it seems that to make the drive shaft fit the slip joint will have to extended a bit too far. Anyone been there done that? The springs measure from the center pin to the spring eye a little shorter on one end. Thank you for any response to get me straightened out.

UPDATE; I just found out that I have the wrong springs. They measure 24" x 28" eyes to center bolt. The correct ones are 26" x 26". Not only was the drive shaft a poor fit but when I mounted the rear axle farther away from the transfer case one of the park brake cables was too short.
I'd still like to know if the correct springs should be mounted in a certain direction since they'll go in either way.

UPDATE; I found out from the spring maker that the end with the berlin eye and double clamp end goes forward.
Also found out I have the wrong brake cables and can't find the right ones. It seems no site has a 4x4 listing.

General Spring gets $150.00 plus tax and shipping for the spring.
http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/43-485.htm
warren_bc

Re: 4x4 rear springs can go in 2 ways

Post by warren_bc »

Thanks for posting, I'm doing the same upgrade, but adding a couple leaves from the old packs. And, building some hangers my self with 3/8 plate on the frame. With some New shackles/hangers of course. My truck also is the highboy, dana 60's both ends. I had my e-brake cables custom made through Napa years ago, not cheap but are well made. Should have everything together this week. General has good prices. I also, have air bags that help with leveling the ride once the camper is mounted. I thought of building some overloads on it like the 1 ton's with the old leaves, still considering. :fr:
davebb

Post by davebb »

I have the air bags on my 04 F350 dually and they are working great to help support the camper. I just heard about an in-cab pressure control for them. That seems much easier than adding air to them out there where the fittings are located now.

I quit looking for E brake cables when I decided to extend the cross- member down a little with a plate mounted to it and drilled the plate for the E brake cable ends.
hfdco4
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by hfdco4 »

Do you have a picture of your springs? I just had to turn mine around as I installed them wrong.
20170808_202951a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
:fr: FE390PC
1970 F250 4x4
2016 F150 4x4 2.7 ECO
Gone 1997, 1999 & 2003 F150 4x4s
Gone 1988, 1989 & 1991 Broncs
davebb

Post by davebb »

I do have a picture. I hope I can figure out how to post them.
[image] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B36EU ... F9XejJRdmM [/image]
[image] https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B36EU ... Hg0Z29VNWM [/image]