71 to 79 tilt column wiring

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

71 to 79 tilt column wiring

Post by dablack00 »

I finally finished wiring up my 79 tilt column in my 71 F100. The only reason I'm finished is because the inspection is up and my horn hasn't worked since I did the switch. Now all is working.

I saw the post on the 67 wiring, well the 71 wiring is even easier. My column doesn't have cruise. Just tilt.

79 white red is hazard switch. I didn't use this one. I kept the hazard switch on my dash. You could easily wire the 79 column switch in if you like.

79 Blue/red is the indicator light. I didn't hook it up. If you want to hook it up, just splice in to your dash lights. No big deal.

79 yellow = ground for the horn. The 78/79 horn has two wires. The yellow is the ground, so ground it out.

79 dark Blue to 71 Blue yellow
79 light green to 71 light green
79 orange blue to 71 orange blue
79 light blue to 71 light blue
79 green white to 71 green white
79 green orange to 71 green orange
79 white blue to 71 white blue

Thats it. No big deal. Just took me a while to figure out the horn thing. All the other wires match up color wise.

Austin
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: 71 to 79 tilt column wiring

Post by dablack00 »

Oh yeah. I don't have back up lights. You can see one of my earlier posts talking about that. The back up light switch was originally on the column (in the engine bay), but with the tilt, I don't have that anymore. The 78/79 trucks have the back up light switch down on the trans. I just need to get the switch from a 78/79, put in on my C6 and wire it in. No big deal.
kdarwin

Post by kdarwin »

I have a 72 , with an aftermarket steering wheel/kit...will it slide right onto the 78 or 79 column?
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

If the aftermarket wheel fit your 71 column, it will fit a 78/79 tilt column.

thanks
Austin
sport71
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 71 to 79 tilt column wiring

Post by sport71 »

dablack00 wrote: 79 Blue/red is the indicator light. I didn't hook it up. If you want to hook it up, just splice in to your dash lights. No big deal.

Austin
I'm sorry but what indicator light are you talking about.79 Blue/red is the indicator light. I'm working on my truck and I want everything to work thanks for the post..

Sport...
Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat it.
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

I'm glad my post is able to help people do the conversion.

The indicator light I'm talking about is the shift indicator. The little arm that shows what gear you are in. There is one little light that is hooked up to the other dash lights below the indicator so it will have some light behind it when the headlights are on. Just tie it in with your other dash lights and you will be all set.
sport71
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by sport71 »

thanks that helps...
Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat it.