Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Post by elgemcdlf »

Not trying to hijack your thread. Just pointing him to a finished install. Glad you like it. I love the IRS!
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

No worries at all, hijack away. Id love to keep this alive with others installs. It gives more perspectives on other ways to go about it. I shared your IRS install with someone at work whos doing one on his '55. :thup:

Oh and I was reading your thread and Im in the same boat on the welding restrictions also for the same reason you are except its a different device but I havent had any issues using my wire feed MIG. My biggest disappointment is not getting good welds on frame thick metal with it. Im not sure I wanna attempt a high amperage stick welder though close range. I know its a no no but nothing has shown up yet and I had a checkup today. Its freaky that they can see 'actvity' by date and time. You get the "wow what were you doing at 1am June 4?" question a lot. :oops:
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

flyboy71 wrote:No worries at all, hijack away. Id love to keep this alive with others installs. It gives more perspectives on other ways to go about it. I shared your IRS install with someone at work whos doing one on his '55. :thup:

Oh and I was reading your thread and Im in the same boat on the welding restrictions also for the same reason you are except its a different device but I havent had any issues using my wire feed MIG. My biggest disappointment is not getting good welds on frame thick metal with it. Im not sure I wanna attempt a high amperage stick welder though close range. I know its a no no but nothing has shown up yet and I had a checkup today. Its freaky that they can see 'actvity' by date and time. You get the "wow what were you doing at 1am June 4?" question a lot. :oops:
Well since it is my heart and they do use the "f" word (fatal) I listen to some of what they say. Actually I listen to all of what they say and do try to adhere. Nice to hear what I post might be of help to others. You can tell him the ride is awesome! Not knowing how he is doing his install so I can't say he will be as satisfied. I mounted mine just like Ford had it in the Thunderbird. Rubber bushings and all. I think it was worth every penny I spent on the mount kit from www.truckirs.com
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

Your build is awesome! I can't say thanks enough for all of the pictures you posted of your build. After spending way too many hours to count sitting on my laptop and reading posts everywhere about the CV swap. I found your build with all of the pictures. PICTURES are the KEY. I can't say thanks enough again for taking the time to take the photos and put them in your build. I pulled the trigger and made the buy yesterday and went for a drive after getting off the famous Craigs List. I Picked up an entire front clip from a 2008 Grand Marquis Motor, tranny, wire harness and PCM and the Rear end as well for a grand. The thing only had 25,000 miles on it! So congrats on all awesome work you have done and I am now off on my own journey and might even start a thread. I have a 1967 Crew Cab and I have not seen anyone drop one yet--only lift them or make them 4X4 or throw a diesel in them. The problem is I have really thin skin when it comes to others getting critical about others work. Forums are both great and evil, I have never heard anyone in any shop be as critical as some feel they can get on a forum. Hope some more funds come your way and I can't wait to see you finish your project! :thup:
Be grateful for every day :fr:
derbydad276

Post by derbydad276 »

The Big Bear wrote:Your build is awesome! I can't say thanks enough for all of the pictures you posted of your build. After spending way too many hours to count sitting on my laptop and reading posts everywhere about the CV swap. I found your build with all of the pictures. PICTURES are the KEY. I can't say thanks enough again for taking the time to take the photos and put them in your build. I pulled the trigger and made the buy yesterday and went for a drive after getting off the famous Craigs List. I Picked up an entire front clip from a 2008 Grand Marquis Motor, tranny, wire harness and PCM and the Rear end as well for a grand. The thing only had 25,000 miles on it! So congrats on all awesome work you have done and I am now off on my own journey and might even start a thread. I have a 1967 Crew Cab and I have not seen anyone drop one yet--only lift them or make them 4X4 or throw a diesel in them. The problem is I have really thin skin when it comes to others getting critical about others work. Forums are both great and evil, I have never heard anyone in any shop be as critical as some feel they can get on a forum. Hope some more funds come your way and I can't wait to see you finish your project! :thup:

start your own thread cant wait to see this remember the 08 8.8 rear is a little narrow for a bump swap
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

I m going to start my own thread and see how it goes. I already have the 08 Grand Marquis 8.8 Rear end mocked up under the truck and it will work fine. Now I do not have to worry about changing lug patterns. I will just adjust my wheel back spacing and Tire size to get the look I want. I have read some of the other threads and like I said some people just get too picky for me about some things. I remember one thread where they were arguing about some rear end being a 1/4 inch different per side. Not enough to matter to me.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

The Big Bear wrote:I m going to start my own thread and see how it goes. I already have the 08 Grand Marquis 8.8 Rear end mocked up under the truck and it will work fine. Now I do not have to worry about changing lug patterns. I will just adjust my wheel back spacing and Tire size to get the look I want. I have read some of the other threads and like I said some people just get too picky for me about some things. I remember one thread where they were arguing about some rear end being a 1/4 inch different per side. Not enough to matter to me.
Nobody would ever know unless they had the two rears side by side and measured very accurately. Even side by side I don't think anyone would notice. I am totally lost with the "too wide" statements of others.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

I toyed with the 8.8 rear from the 03 Vic but I thought too it seemed wide, of course on the car with the same offset wheels it seems ok so I tend to agree. I bought an 8.8 from an Explorer. Haven't settled on that either so I may just use the 9" from a Gran Torino I got last summer.
-Jeff

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
The Big Bear

Post by The Big Bear »

I picked up some wheels with some serious offset on them from a kid for $300 and mocked them up! 18 inch and they look like they really stuffed the tires under the bed so I think I will be okay with the Marquis rear end. I am just too tight with the economy being the way it is to not use the rear end I have. The wheels and the offset made a huge difference, I will measure them the next time I have them off and post for you.
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

I too picked up an 8.8 out of an explorer but now i'm just using the brakes off it on the 1981 f-100 9" rear. I have 2008 mustang wheels on it now and the front with cown vic might be 1/4" wider but I also needed a small spacer up front to clear the CV calipers with the 18" mustang bullitt wheels.
67F100-390

Post by 67F100-390 »

Great pictures and your attention to detail is awesome... Hopefully you can get started on your truck again!
67 F-100 Custom Cab Short Bed
428ci 4 speed
Finally runs and drives after 14 long years in a field
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Ok it's been almost a year now. Any new progress on this truck?
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Nothing new to report. :( Im working on the body stuff now then I hope to pull the frame out of storage and get back to it someday.
-Jeff

diznasty

Post by diznasty »

How much adjusting did you have to do to your measurements from your earlier post? I started laying mine out and am coming up with roughly the same but you said you had to do some adjusting. I have everything out except the stock crossmember and i figured it was a good idea to payout my measurements now.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

I dont recall which adjustments I had to make anymore. I know I measured a lot before I drilled anything.
-Jeff