Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation Complete (For Real)

Post by flyboy71 »

Did you get your CV installed yet? Got any pics youd like to share with the class?

Well my project has slowed to a crawl now since the Mrs lost her job. Her unemployment wont cover my truck budget let alone everything else. Ugh.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
48prerunner
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 48prerunner »

Sorry to hear about your slow down . Fired up the wood stove today and got up to 40 something degrees in the shop I have The cv all tacked in working on boxing in the front frame now and c notching the rear frame is all set to go just have to cut the c in the frame and weld all the parts in.looks like this http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AI ... =16&CID=11 HAd to get a new compressor to run the plasma cutter. I have pics on my phone will have to post em up soon. And I have 3 wheels now still looking for one more rear wheel.
imphatr

Post by imphatr »

Nice work to Jeff and Shoe String. I can't wait to get started on my 1970 F100 sport custom swb. Question, what is the best direction to go on the wiring for the 4.6 motor and auto tranny from the CV? I guessing the only big deal is have the immobilzer disabled in the PCM and adding elec. fuel pump?
wasgas

Post by wasgas »

I have seen a few CV front end conversions on the web that are total hack jobs and should be crushed, your front end work looks great...
jeepgod

Post by jeepgod »

Do you have any updates?
2003 VW Jetta 1.8 turbo
1996 Lexus LX450
1969 Ford F-100 2wd 302
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Nothing recently. Maybe after the weather gets nicer. Im living on one income plus UC income so the truck project is at a crawl now until that gets back on track. :( Hopefully others will add to this with what they are doing too. The more the merrier!
-Jeff

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
BobR

Post by BobR »

Good Afternoon

Having watched your Crown Vic Install for some time I now have some questions. I might add, yours and others experience, have inspired me to take on this suspensions swap.
1. How did you resolve the difference between the front and rear lug issue, to have matching wheels, without changing rear ends.
2. How did you connect the brake lines. Did you just use extend the brake lines and use different fittings for each ends?
3. Did you remove the ABS system and just leave the area open or did you cut the wires?

Any help you can give me would greatly be appreciated. Also you can post this to you build thread if you wish.

Many Thanks

Bob R.

PS Plus any other suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

Bob

Thanks for your questions. I can answer two of them pretty easily. As far as the lug issue I have two options. I can either install a Ford Explorer rear end or I can use the 72 Gran Torino rear that I have. Both have the 5x4.5 lug pattern. Your only other option is to redrill the truck flange to the same pattern.
I havent gotten to the brake lines but I think theres an adapter that will go between the truck fitting and the CV fitting. I actually cut the ABD wires off mine. I couldnt figure out how to remove the sensor assembly so cutting the wires was clean and easy.

Overall the install is pretty easy. I put lots of details in my thread and I think a couple others posted as well. Just be sure to measure and get it straight as possible to the frame before you cut anything and make sure the axle centerlines are placed correctly.

Feel free to post in the thread and ask questions as there are a number of folks who have done this swap and would be glad to help also.
-Jeff

Hello Jeff
With either the Grand Torino or the Explorer is the pinion offset the same as our trucks pinion offset is?

Again many thanks, Bob
marvin2
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Brought it home!

Post by marvin2 »

flyboy71 wrote:The engineer in me came out and I broke out the measuring tools last evening and started trying to figure out where to put holes in the frame and exactly where it should go in the install. I already marked the frame before I removed the original. I took some measurements of the hole spacings in the CV crossmember and noted the hole diameters. The left side holes are slots which are 1/2 inch center to center on the same diameter. I also figured out the offset from those holes to the axle centerline. Then I located the truck centerline from the dimensioned drawings Keith has put on here from the bodybuilders layout book. Im almost certain this is correct, plus/minus 1/8 inch or so, or at least it is on the 2003 CV that I have. I will measure a half dozen more times before I cut holes of course. :thup:

UPDATE: I measured again and revised the drawing.

[ Image ]
Just checking to see if the dimensions you have listed on the attached schematic were your latest & greatest (it says you updated it, so I wanted to double check). I am getting very close to point of drilling some holes for my install, so I want to make sure that all my i's are dotted and t's are crossed. You have a pretty solid write-up, so I'll probably try a similar approach.
1970 F100 "Marvin 2" - Crown Vic IFS, 302, C4 (work in progress)
1970 F250 "Leonard" - 302, C6 (project in waiting)
1971 F100 "Walt" - 302, 3-speed on the column (Sunday driver)
2004 Mustang GT "Horse With No Name" - 4.6L, 5 speed (Retired daily driver / Friday driver)
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Those should be the latest greatest but you should check to see that yours are the same. I wish I had some actual Crown Vic dimensions from Ford literature to know for sure. I marked my layout on the frame and put the suspension in place and verifed before i drilled anything.
-Jeff

elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Somewhat dead thread but a few pieces I would add to this swap. Since you did not want the full drop the spacing appears to work. If someone is mounting the IFS as in the car the crossmember goes flush against the bottom of the rail. If you cut the spacers out of the car frame they work absolutely prefect for the install. They are welded into the CV on the top rail only. You can cut them off at the length you need. The remaining piece goes on top of the rail. Run your bolts up from the bottom as in the CV and you have the crossmember bolted in. Now put the upper shock tower supports in and add the nuts.

Not that I see it needing to be done if you should ever need to remove the upper shock supports the entire front unit is now separated from the frame. With my install I can remove the upper supports same as in the car and the crossmember is still bolted into the truck. I caught the question concerning location of the sway bar mounts. The links should be straight up and down with full weight on the suspension. This locates the sway bar frame mounts.
Last edited by elgemcdlf on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SillyValleyF250

Post by SillyValleyF250 »

elgemcdlf wrote:If someone is mounting the IFS as in the car the crossmember goes flush against the bottom of the rail. If you cut the spacers out of the car frame they work absolutely prefect for the install. They are welded into the CV on the top rail only. You can cut them off at the length you need. The remaining piece goes on top of the rail. Run your bolts up from the bottom as in the CV and you have the crossmember bolted in. Now put the upper shock tower supports in and add the nuts.
PICS? :-)
elgemcdlf wrote:Not that I see it needing to be done if you should ever need to remove the upper shock supports the entire front unit is now separated from the frame. With my install I can remove the upper supports same as in the car and the crossmember is still bolted into the truck.
DEFINITELY need pics! I'm contemplating this swap in a few months, and would like to gather any info like this that I can glean. My little Effie may get a frame transplant at some point, and it'd be a shame to not have a well-engineered CV swap in it. :-)
elgemcdlf wrote:I caught the question concerning location of the sway bar mounts. The links should be straight up and down with full weight on the suspension. This locates the sway bar frame mounts.
PICS PICS PICS! :D
1970 F250 Camper Special, 360, C6. Future: Propane-powered 390 or 429, 6-speed.
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Crown Vic IFS - Installation and Fabrication Thread

Post by flyboy71 »

:yt: Hey guys! Feel free to keep this thread alive since for the short term I have the CV swap project in storage while I work on the full resto truck project first. I have nothing more in the way of pics but would love to see what everyone else comes up with and any guidance for everyone too.
-Jeff

Hemimark

Post by Hemimark »

I'm doing this swap also.... I'm glad I found this thread. I just bought a complete Police intercepter, 2003. I plan on using the IFS, brakes, front and rear. Now dont get mad but its going in this!

I'm wondering if this Ford truck has ever gotten finished??
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Hemimark wrote:I'm doing this swap also.... I'm glad I found this thread. I just bought a complete Police intercepter, 2003. I plan on using the IFS, brakes, front and rear. Now dont get mad but its going in this!

[ Image ]

I'm wondering if this Ford truck has ever gotten finished??
If you want to see a finished truck that has a CV IFS along with a MN12 IRS check this one. Yes it's mine.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=54398
flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by flyboy71 »

Thats awesome! Mine is in a holding pattern at the moment till the job situation settles and I can dip into my slush fund again.
-Jeff