Power Brake Booster Bracket

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Power Brake Booster Bracket

Post by ultraranger »

Pete, I don't have any experience with an OEM booster in/from a '67 Bumpside. I just know the input rod is different from '68-'72 boosters and the pedal support is different --pedal pivot is closer to the front of the support than on the '68-'72 models.

I do have experience of putting a dual diaphragm booster (54-73112) from a '75 F350 in my '69 F100 Ranger and having put a '72 F350 dual diaphragm booster in a '72 F100 Sport Custom. Both of these boosters have a long input rod that connects from the booster and directly to the brake pedal (non-bellcrank bracket assemblies).

My '69 F100 originally had manual 4-wheel manual drum brakes. I bought my truck in 2011. Several months after I bought the truck, I installed the F350 dual diaphragm booster with a new cast iron 1.00" bore MC. This configuration resulted in very sensitive brakes. In 2014, I pitched the front drums and installed the front discs/suspension from a '77 F100. I also removed the conventional cast iron 1.00" bore MC and installed a 'modern' aluminum 1-1/16" bore MC (for a '95 Ford Explorer). After these changes, the brakes work exceptionally well now.

In regards to residual pressure valves in a conventional cast iron MC. Today, if you go to the parts store to get an OEM replacement MC for a specific vehicle, chances are great that there won't be any RPVs in the MC port(s), even if the OEM MC did have them from the factory.

I have discs on the front and (currently) the stock '69 11" x 2-1/4" rear drums on my truck. The '95 Explorer MC doesn't have any RPVs, since it was designed for 4-wheel discs but, I have absolutely no problems of this MC operating the rear drums.

If you're going to run power 4-wheel drums, you're probably better off to run a single diaphragm booster, rather than a dual diphragm. Otherwise, you'll likely experience the sensitivity that I did on my truck.

This is a thread detailing the dual diaphragm booster and 'modern' Explorer MC I installed in the '72 F100 Sport Custom that belongs to a friend of mine.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14526 ... oster.html
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

I definitely want a single booster, actually for both vehicles. I just want a little help. The '69 has 428, so it needs help more. I just want the booster for the '71 to help with minimal towing and such that I use it. I just found ( literally )a '75 setup I may grab.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

IF valve cover clearance is a problem, you may need to get the bellcrank booster bracket setup that will position the booster higher up than where the non-bellcrank brackets would position the booster. --just something to keep in mind, depending on what valve covers are used and how tall they are.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

]
1975 booster.jpg
Steve, give your thought on this booster. It is supposed to be from a 1975 . .but I never have seen a bracket like this one. There are extra mounting holes. There are four that are exactly like the brackets I'm used to seeing, it bolts up. But not only is the bracket larger, it is also riveted to the booster. It isn't a bell crank setup I don't believe . .thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete's Ponies
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

PetesPonies wrote:]1975 booster.jpgSteve, give your thought on this booster. It is supposed to be from a 1975 . .but I never have seen a bracket like this one. There are extra mounting holes. There are four that are exactly like the brackets I'm used to seeing, it bolts up. But not only is the bracket larger, it is also riveted to the booster. It isn't a bell crank setup I don't believe . .thoughts?
Definitely not a bellcrank style booster and I too haven't seen anything like that in a 5th or 6th generation Ford truck. It doesn't look like the '75 F350 booster/brackets I have in my truck.

It might have been pulled from a '75 model Ford truck but, it may have been put there from some other vehicle --possibly from an older Dodge pickup (speculation) or no telling what.
Steve

PetesPonies

Post by PetesPonies »

Hmmmm, OK thanks
Pete's Ponies