Adding a brake booster

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Adding a brake booster

Post by 91Bear »

I have a booster and brackets that I have been thinking of adding to the old girl to make the ride a little more safe.

However, some people (like papabug, for one: http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... er#p585231) say that adding the booster made things worse rather than better.

Should I try adding a brake booster to my manual drum brakes? Is it worth the trouble?
basshound71
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Adding a brake booster

Post by basshound71 »

Good question, I would like to know the answer as well
1971 Ford F100
2007 Chevy Avalanche
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by forrestbump »

Power brakes are not a safety feature, they're a convenience feature. They're primary function is to lessen the amount of pressure you have to apply to the brake pedal as the booster does this for you.

Worth it? I've got them on both of my 1970 F250's and prefer them. I've owned trucks without power brakes and never felt the need to add a brake booster on them either so it's your call.
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

For drums all the way around, it's your call. If you go to discs on the front, then yes you should add a booster as discs are not self actuating, IE. they do not help apply themselves as drums do.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

Right you are guys! The booster doesn't change any braking characteristics of the vehicle as far as stopping distance, etc, but it does make it a little easier on your legs!...lol! It simply makes it easier to push on the brake pedal to get the application of pressure to the brake cylinders.
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

flyboy2610 wrote:For drums all the way around, it's your call. If you go to discs on the front, then yes you should add a booster as discs are not self actuating, IE. they do not help apply themselves as drums do.
Good point! I never thought about it that way before.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I was in the same position this time last year. F-250 with manual drum brakes all around. I added the booster and WOW what a difference. I can tell you that it is one of THE best upgrades you can make.
gleno

Post by gleno »

My 71 F100 had drums all around, and stock manual brakes. I am a fairly strong bike rider, and with no booster assist on the brakes, I would be exhausted in stop and go driving. My arms hurt trying to pull the steering wheel up to my nose. Switched to a booster, and life got much better. I can even stop the truck now.
justiz00

Post by justiz00 »

Same for me as the previous two posters said. I had to make a new push rod from the pedal since the new booster rod was threaded and the old master cylinder had a spring type pin holding it in. Tremendous difference. I am no longer wearing the springs out in the back of my seat when applying the brakes. I saw go for it!!
67mann
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 67mann »

:yt: just added the 67 booster I(from parts truck) had too the 67 driver I bought with drum brake. I think it's a huge difference so far just in the pedal and I had the parts...so why not :2cents: I've driven it and during normal braking it seems a lot easier........have yet to have too slam on them :hmm: :pray:
I've had enough and I'm not alone
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/67mann/
greentruck

Post by greentruck »

I added a booster to my manual drums a few months ago, and it is a whole lot more enjoyable to drive. I am a novice mechanic and I did the job in less than an hour. Dont worry about messing something up it is really easy. I know you sayed you already have your parts, but for others who may be wondering about this project below is my two cents:

- check your brake pedal linkage and connection to the mc, My truck is a 69 but has 67 pedal assembly in it (some PO changed it at some point) The 67 pedal has a female connection and the later years have a male connection, or something like that. Just double check before your order a booster and MC.
- Bench bleed the new MC (if you order one, I did because it was only another 25 bucks so what not replace the 40 year old part) and the brake bleed at the drums goes much smoother.
Big Red - 1969 F100 4x4 SB
Greentruck -1972 F100 SB converted to 4x4 -SOLD...why?
mdart

Post by mdart »

I have a 69 F100 4x4 with non- power drum brakes and I'm in the process of adding a brake booster. Do I need to also use a proportioning valve?
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

You do not need to mess with anything hydraulic if all you are adding is a booster.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I've got a 69 f250 4x4 with drums all around. I'd like to add a booster, which part should I be looking for? Is there a booster that will bolt right up and work with my existing master cylinder?
1969 F250 4X4
360 V8, C6 auto trans
small lift, 36x12.5x16.5 military tires
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

I think it will. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Most of the boosters I have seen require a threaded rod. Do you have to get one from a salvage truck?