Negative Camber

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

thrush544
Preferred User
Preferred User

Negative Camber

Post by thrush544 »

Since driving my 69 to work every day (40 miles each way, have to put a new steering pump in my 2001) I have noticed I have a definate negative camber on both front tires. I am guessing some is needed, but should it be that severe that you can see it? Is it due to excesive wear on any particular part. As I recall it's not uncommon with the early twin I beams. :hmm:

Thanks, God Bless & Happy Easter,
Ed
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Proverbs 3: 5-6
forrestbump
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Negative Camber

Post by forrestbump »

Happy Easter to you, your family and all members/visitors to this wonderful site as well!

Ed, this link explains the proper procedures for correcting camber much better then I ever could... http://www.fordification.com/tech/alignment.htm

Now finding a shop that still has the equipment and knows how to use it can be the bigger challenge.

God's speed...
1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Sky View Blue, Ranger XLT

1970, 2WD, F-250, C/S, A/C, Dual Tanks, 390 FE (again, of course), C6, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Dana 60 3.73, Wimbledon White & Sky View Blue, Ranger (almost twin brothers!)

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do" - Henry Ford

Larry
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

Be sure to verify your springs are good. That is usually what is wrong with old trucks not discounting other possibilities just giving a good starting point.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

If you buy a new set of Moog cargo coils it will raise the front end and cure your alignment issues. Your I-beams did not bend (resulting in the negative camber), more likely spring sag. You may need to let the new Moog springs settle a bit and then trim them to get the desired alignment (that's what I had to do ).
Aussie_1970

Post by Aussie_1970 »

Yes check front springs, I got some raised springs by mistake and it gave the truck noticeable positive camber - the higher the springs the greater the positive camber and vice versa...Sagging springs would make it have negative camber - if not then investigate other stuff like ibeams, etc
thrush544
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by thrush544 »

Thanks to all of you, what an awesome site. :thup:

:fr:

As soon as I can finish repairs on my work truck I'll turn my attention on my 69 and let you all know how it works out. 8)

Where did you guys buy your springs?

God Bless,
Ed
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Proverbs 3: 5-6
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

thrush544 wrote:Thanks to all of you, what an awesome site. :thup:

:fr:

As soon as I can finish repairs on my work truck I'll turn my attention on my 69 and let you all know how it works out. 8)

Where did you guys buy your springs?

God Bless,
Ed
Summit Racing
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I bought mine from Eaton Detroit. I would go with what Bobby suggests. Moog Cargo Coils are great.