Replacing the king pins and suspension bushings

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Replacing the king pins and suspension bushings

Post by sargentrs »

I would advise it. It's not really the king pin that gets so badly worn out, they are made of some pretty hard material. It's the bushings in the spindles that do most of the work and wear out first. If you get the king pins out, you can replace the bushings yourself but it requires a press and a long sized reamer to get the proper clearances and "through" alignment of the top bushing and bottom bushing.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Mr Sargent, Thank you. :thup: :fr: :fr: :fr:
squirrels111

Post by squirrels111 »

where would i find the caliper bracket bushing for this vehicle. Have a 68 f 250 and cannot find this part anywhere.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

squirrels111 wrote:where would i find the caliper bracket bushing for this vehicle. Have a 68 f 250 and cannot find this part anywhere.
Have you tried AutoZone? http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-trac ... 78353_0_0/
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
gaertner_jan

Post by gaertner_jan »

Guys, quick question regarding the pivot bushing shells... I have a press and have already removed one of the bushings with the shell. I then started to press in a new bushing and shell and noticed I can not get it to seat completely in the I Beam (the one on the left in the picture). I then looked at the other I Beam and bushing and it appears to be almost centered in the I beam (the one on the right in the pic). The flange on that one definitely is not seated either. So how are they supposed to be? Are they supposed to be centered? Does the flange need to seat? I cant find any hints in the shop manual (68 F-100). Also, which side of the I Beam is the flange of the bushing supposed to be on? I put the first on in the way it was but how am I to know if the PO did it right??? Help much appreciated!

thanks, J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

The shells on my '69 F250 were pretty well seated. The flange of the bushing goes on the same side as the flange of the shell.

I would say get it seated as best you can and go with it.
Red Green

you'd better be right.
gaertner_jan

Post by gaertner_jan »

Hi flyboy,

thanks for your reply. It looks as if the bushing I pressed in is about like the one in your picture. But what I meant regarding the orientation is: does the flange of the bushing/shell need to be on a specific SIDE of the I Beam. For example, does the flange need to be on the same side as the steering stop on the I Beam??

thanks! J
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

The bushings I used required the original shell to be left in the I-beam. Here's a couple of photos of my beam with just the shell. There's a flat side of the beam and a curved side, like a pedestal. The flange of the shell was on the flat side of the beam.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
gaertner_jan

Post by gaertner_jan »

Hi Randy, thanks for the info! Naturally the bushing I already replaced is in wrong! :pout:
POs can be very aggravating sometimes!!

Thanks for the help guys! J
Slash801

Post by Slash801 »

thank you from germany for the best front axle replacing documentary ever!
Matthias
habu

Post by habu »

Ya know, I don't think I ever said thanks to Flyboy. Used your thread to replace all the bushings on my bump about a year or so ago. Helped immensely. Now I just need to find the time to do the rear suspension... LOL

So Thank You, you rock :thup:
1969 F250 Camper Special, 390 2v, C6, PB, Bendix PS, AC, Dana 60. 3rd owner

Soon rebuilt 390, not stock, will be swapped in.
CdnGeo

Post by CdnGeo »

This looks like an awesome thread and looks to be very helpful as I am about to replace the kingpin and suspension bushings on my daughter's 1972 F250. Is there anyway to get the pictures reposted as the don't show up in the write-up?
Thanks
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

CdnGeo wrote:This looks like an awesome thread and looks to be very helpful as I am about to replace the kingpin and suspension bushings on my daughter's 1972 F250. Is there anyway to get the pictures reposted as the don't show up in the write-up?
Thanks
I appreciate your interest. The reason the pics aren't there is because Photobucket (hereafter referred to as P-bucket) has disabled 3rd party hosting unless the account owner pays a fee of $399 per year. Yes, that is three hundred ninety nine dollars. The fallout across the internet is huge on this one, and none of it is positive. I think P-bucket has just committed corporate suicide. Many of their clients, myself included, have said "No way, Jose!" and have moved on. If I ever get the time, I'll try to fix the links, but it's going to be a while.
Sorry. :(
Red Green

you'd better be right.