Incorrect Disc Brake Kit

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

hrg22

Incorrect Disc Brake Kit

Post by hrg22 »

I have a '72 ford pickup 2wd, unfortunately when my father went to purchase the disc brake set the vendors failed to mention that they did not have the 2wd disc brake set and sold him the 4wd set. After that the set just sat for a while before the installation was attempted and the mechanic realized it did not fit, by this time some parts of the set developed rust and a few scratches probably from the installation attempt. So we went back tried too return and they were not accepted because of these conditions, so my question would be what is the difference between the 2wd disc brake kit and the 4wd? Apparently the vendors we got them from don't even know and they don't sell the 2wd set. What parts can I still use from this set and what parts for the 2wd would i need too look for, from my understanding the mechanic said the only part that did not fit was the U-shaped black part in the middle sorry for not calling it by its name but I don't know what it is, I've posted the link below so anyone that can help me can see what I'm talking about. The money has already been wasted I would prefer not too have to buy a whole other kit but if I have too it will be done I would like other suggestions using what I already have available if at all possible.
Thanks for any help, hrg22.

http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/f ... 271-0.html
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Incorrect Disc Brake Kit

Post by 1972hiboy »

I dont think your gunna be able to use any of that stuff. impossible to tell by the picture since thats a kit for a 2wd 3/4 ton.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
hrg22

Post by hrg22 »

Its a 4wd drive set that company doesn't sell the 2wd set its says on the website and they told me in person when I went to their location.
elgemcdlf
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by elgemcdlf »

I don't believe you will be able to use any of it. Just out of curiosity why spend that much money just to get disc brakes when you can junkyard everything you need from a dent for a fraction of the price?
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

elgemcdlf wrote:I don't believe you will be able to use any of it. Just out of curiosity why spend that much money just to get disc brakes when you can junkyard everything you need from a dent for a fraction of the price?
He might not have known about the 73-79 parts bolting up.
You might try selling the kit (complete) on here, Craigslist, eBay, etc. You won't get all your money back out of it, but you will probably get enough to buy the disc brake parts from a 73-79 F100 2wd.
Here's a tech article that should help you:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/discbrakes01.htm
Also, read this:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/Ibeamsspindles.htm

Sorry you wasted the money. I've done similar things, myself. :oops:
P.S. This is an excellent time to replace the I-beam and radius rod bushings.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 50#p624633
My truck is an F250, so the brake setup is different from an F100. The rest is the same, though.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
hrg22

Post by hrg22 »

Elgemcdlf, that's a good question but at this point this was an error made by father who is restoring the truck it may be because he wanted new looking parts if that can be done with junkyard parts then what you are saying would be correct, thank you for your comment. Flyboy, that's what I was thinking would have too be done thank you as well.
hrg22

Post by hrg22 »

I think the i-beam and radius rod bushings have been worked on already right now the only problem is the brake assembly.
hrg22

Post by hrg22 »

So if I look for the brake parts for 73-79 2wd they would fit onto the 72?
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

hrg22 wrote:So if I look for the brake parts for 73-79 2wd they would fit onto the 72?
If you are taking just the disc brake parts from a '73 or '74, (from the steering knuckles outward) the steering knuckles will bolt onto your existing drum brake I-beams. If you are getting the disc brake parts off a '75-'79 F100/F150, then the steering knuckles will not bolt onto your existing '67-'72 drum brake I-beams. Starting in '75, the king pin diameter was increased. This is why the '75-'79 knuckles will not bolt onto the '65-'74 I-beams.

To play it safe and to eliminate any confusion, you would probably be better off taking the entire disc brake/I-beam assemblies from whatever donor truck you get the parts from.

I took this entire disc brake setup from a '77 F100 to install in my '69 F100 Ranger. I gave $125.00 for everything shown in this photo. --You would not need the frame rails. The wrecking yard owner is the one that cut the front frame section from the truck. However, it did include a steering gear box, both 302 small block engine perches, disc/drum combination brake valve & mounting bracket, the caliper flexible hose mounting brackets, coil springs, steering linkage and the disc brake/I-beam assemblies.

These are the main components you would need to make the swap (although you probably wouldn't have to have the coil spring ...or the sporty yellow shock :wink: ). [left side disc brake/I-beam assembly shown].

With some cleaning up, the parts can look like this. [right side disc brake/I-beam components shown].

You will need the disc brake assemblies, a disc/drum combination valve to replace your drum/drum pressure differential valve and you will need the brackets off each side of the frame for the calipers flexible hoses to attach to. They are different from the drum brake flexible hose brackets. --the (right side) disc brake hose bracket is shown at top, far right side in photo above.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.