Converting to disc from drum

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

damn_fool

Converting to disc from drum

Post by damn_fool »

I'm waiting on the UPS man to drop off my master power brake conversion kit for the front of my 71 f100. I have a couple questions for those that have done this or are in the process of doing anything underneath their ride. What else should I be replacing or looking to replace while doing this swap? Is there any tricks or things to look for while diving into this project?
All I know about vehicles is pretty much how to change oil,batteries,alternators, fairly simple things. I've never owned a vehicle with a carb on it period. So this is my first decent learning experience project. The pickup is a 71 f100 2wd with a 390 probably should of mentioned that with my earlier questions. Thanks
Jeremy
71 F100 that I haven't got to drive once yet. In pieces in the driveway =(
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Converting to disc from drum

Post by sargentrs »

So you have disc n want to go back to drums? You need every thing from the end of the I-beam out.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Converting to disc from drum

Post by HIO Silver »

damn_fool wrote:I'm waiting on the UPS man to drop off my master power brake conversion kit for the front of my 71 f100. I have a couple questions for those that have done this or are in the process of doing anything underneath their ride. What else should I be replacing or looking to replace while doing this swap? Is there any tricks or things to look for while diving into this project?
All I know about vehicles is pretty much how to change oil,batteries,alternators, fairly simple things. I've never owned a vehicle with a carb on it period. So this is my first decent learning experience project. The pickup is a 71 f100 2wd with a 390 probably should of mentioned that with my earlier questions. Thanks
Glad to hear that you're tackling it yourself. In advance, spray and let set WD-40/Kroil/PB Blaster on all the nuts and bolts that need to be removed.

I'm rebuilding my 70's entirely original front end with: poly RA bushings; DJM beams (already has the poly axle pivots); Bilstein shocks; swapping to '78 discs using a '75 booster and MC; springs, RAs from a 351M-equipped '78, and all new steering linkages by Moog. I recommend inspecting and perhaps consider replacing the tie rods, shocks, and potentially, the axle pivot bushings and radius arm bushings. It's not that much more work "since you're already there". Oh, I'm also adding a front sway bar from a 79.

Btw, you'll need a tie rod puller to install the MP kit. I use a modified gear puller. If replacing the tie rods, then a pickle fork is OK to use cuz it'll destroy 'em.

Flare nut wrench set... using regular combo wrenches will surely round 'em off.

In the end, completely flush the old brake fluid.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang