Front wheel sticking out past rear wheel?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

stang1986gt

Front wheel sticking out past rear wheel?

Post by stang1986gt »

Ok folks, I have a very strange question...such that I don't really know how to ask it.

I have a 69 F100 131" wheel base. The truck is all original and in very very good shape, great patina, etc. 2WD. I've had two different friends tell me on two different occasions that something doesn't look right when they are following me down the road. It almost looks as if the front driver wheel sticks out past the rear wheel when tracking down the road a couple of inches. Now, I don't mean the truck is tracking crooked...I've seen vehicles like that that seems like the whole rear of the vehicle is off to the side. The best way I can describe it is image if someone put a wheel spacer on the front driver side but no other wheels. I don't mean the front wheel is laying out at the bottom...it's like the whole wheel is out. The passenger side lines up fine with the rear. All the wheels are the same (same backspacing and all that), and it does not appear to have a different spindle on the driver side.

The truck travels down the road very straight, doesn't road walk (no see-sawing of the wheel to keep it straight), etc. I guess I'm not too worried about it, but it does bug me a bit.

I know it's hard to diagnose, especially since I can't get a pic (looks like it sits straight in the driveway :dk: ) Maybe both of my buddies are just nuts. :lol:
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Front wheel sticking out past rear wheel?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

The rearends in our trucks up to 1972 are 4 inches narrower in the rear - 2 inches per side. That's why it looks that way because it actually is........my 1968 is like that but I disgiused mine with a set of farm truck mudflaps........ :thup:
Last edited by Ohiotinkerer on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

:yt: In '73 they widened up the rear so front and rear would be the same, www.fordification.com/tech/chassis-comparison.htm You can compensate for the appearance with different size tires or wheel backspacing, you'll just lose the ability to rotate your tires back to front,
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
stang1986gt

Post by stang1986gt »

Oh it's no big deal. The truck drives great so I'm not going to worry about it. Was just curious.