Crown Vic conversion questions

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

Twisted_Steel

Crown Vic conversion questions

Post by Twisted_Steel »

I've got a 69 short bed reg cab that I'm going to put back on the road. I want to use the (1985)302 and (1990)AOD from a Mustang GT. What I'm reading is that the CV power steering works off of the VSS. Seeing as my tranny has no VSS, what's the best way to make the power steering on the CV conversion work?
Also, the rear end is a .275 open gear and my little bit if research shows that the crown Vic rear is geared 308 to 331 depending on if it is a private vehicle or a P71. Will the proportioning valve from the CV work, seeing as the truck won't have discs at all 4 corners?
Aerocoupe

Re: Crown Vic conversion questions

Post by Aerocoupe »

I know this is waaaay late but just swap the CV power steering unit with the EVO (electronic variable orifice) for one without the EVO. I used the one I had with the EVO for the core on a rebuilt one that does not have the EVO. Once you do this then you do not have to worry about the VSS signal. Just an FYI on the CV's the EVO is controlled by an ECM which looks at the VSS and other parameters to control the EVO.

Another solution is to use a potentiometer to feed the EVO a constant signal. This is referenced in this thread over on Ford Trucks:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1448 ... rol-2.html

Anyhow, just thought I would share what I came across and eventually decided to do it the simple way and just get rid of it.