No Brake Booster I Buy Fits My F100

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

swampbilly

No Brake Booster I Buy Fits My F100

Post by swampbilly »

Hello everyone. Im at my witts end here and i need help. Ive read the tech articles, the schematics, looked at pictures, read several threads and ordered several parts. I cannot seem to find a booster that will fit my truck. Here is my story. I have a 1970 F100 2wd with manual brakes.
I decided i wanted to upgrade to a softer easier pedal push by adding a booster. I jumped on Advance and ordered a booster/master cylinder combo. This guy:
I get it in the mail and attempt to install it (thinking its like my 77.5 f250 HB if i remember it bolted directly to the firewall. After removing the old MC i find that it doesnt match any holes or even clear the cowl pinch weld. I hit the forums and tech articles. I now know i need a mounting bracket! I jump on GPS Brakes and find this mounting bracket: BOOSTER BRACKET KIT FORD TRUCK 1957-1972
URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Chris_S ... k.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
I compared the bracket to the studs on the booster aaaand......the bolt pattern doesnt match. The boosters studs are further apart than the bracket can accomodate. I (angrily) throw the booster into my jeep and run up to auto parts store (bracket in hand) return the booster and ask what boosters they have in stock for anything! They have none from 70s years in stock to check my bracket.
I order one for a 250. Nope. 74? 76? 72? Nope. Half of em use the same booster i got! Im on my 4th booster. Ive had it lol. Here is the bracket on my firewall:
And my original manual master cylinder.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Ive been battling this for 3 weeks now and i just want my truck back on the road lol. :help:
Ranchero50

Re: No Brake Booster I Buy Fits My F100

Post by Ranchero50 »

Here's the one pic I have of mine. There are a bunch of other installs of guys that have used generic and stock ones if you have the time to search through the forums. I do think you have your brackets on backwards (side to side). Gonna be a bear to put the bolts on.

'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

None of the factory Bumpside or Dentside boosters mounted directly to the firewall. They all had brackets between the booster and the firewall.

The aftermarket booster brackets are swapped around (on the wrong sides).

The booster SwampBilly has is the single diaphragm unit that would be on a '68-'72 2WD F100/F250 with all wheel drum brakes.

Your best bet is to get the factory booster brackets and the hard plastic dust boot from a donor truck that's specifically designed for that booster, to alleviate a mix-match of original and aftermarket parts that aren't working out.
Last edited by ultraranger on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
swampbilly

Post by swampbilly »

Yes....soon after i posted this i put my nose to the grindstone again on the forums and found that my brackets are mounted backwards. But they still would be the same bolt pattern i think. Ill have to switch them tomorrow and see. But i also believe that these brackets dont open up large enough to mount the booster even IF i flipped them. Thanks for the pics. What does your shaft look like? Is it female threaded?
swampbilly

Post by swampbilly »

Even after flipping the brackets it did not match bolt pattern horizontally. I think the brackets are wrong and from a smaller vehicle or something even though i bought them for a truck. These brackets i have do not bend outwards to the wide bolt pattern of the booster. Im sending it all back and ordered a complete after market setup because i could not find those beefier truck brackets i see in everyones photos. Here is what i purchased:
Ill post when it arrives as nd give you all an update. I know this topic is redundant here on the forums but there just seems to be alot of confusion on these booster mounts.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Down the page on the right. I've heard good things about them http://www.flashbackf100s.com/new_parts_page
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by My427stang »

swampbilly wrote:Even after flipping the brackets it did not match bolt pattern horizontally. I think the brackets are wrong and from a smaller vehicle or something even though i bought them for a truck. These brackets i have do not bend outwards to the wide bolt pattern of the booster. Im sending it all back and ordered a complete after market setup because i could not find those beefier truck brackets i see in everyones photos. Here is what i purchased:
Ill post when it arrives as nd give you all an update. I know this topic is redundant here on the forums but there just seems to be alot of confusion on these booster mounts.
I should have all the stock stuff available in a few weeks, including the booster, bracket and arm. Although I am not very confident in the condition of the booster (hard to tell though because I run a big cam) If my conversion works well, I will sell cheap

Swampbilly - Have you installed yours yet? I went with the dual diaphragm 8 inch version, I assume that is what yours is. Do you like it?
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs